DotNetNuke questions (modules, help, etc)

Does anyone know where I can find free dnn modules? I've just started using this today and it's very overwhelming! Anyways, I'd like to see what other modules are out there. I installed 4.0 but I understand there are less modules for that, so I don't mind installing 3.x if there are more mods out there for that version. Help me out! The thing I'm looking for the most is an articles modules with comments linking to the forum. I have no idea if this is possible.

Also, does anyone know some other good sites for info on dnn? Specifically around tips and tricks type stuff. There are tons of sites on how to build your own mods and also commerical mods. Let me know, thanks for your help!

Hi, since your looking for mods I figure you have successfully installed DNN. I have never used DNN or any other .NET app before and I'm having trouble setting up the web.config I get errors when I load default.aspx but no description of the error is given. I changed the customErrors mode to off like the error message says but still no description.

Anything you can offer is appreciated, Thanks!

I'm using the Install package as I don't have visual studio .net. I uploaded the contents of the install zip to my domain root folder and commented out the connection strings for sql server 2005 and uncommented the ones for mssql 2000 and put the correct connection info in both connections strings (DNN4).

I did download and read the documentation but I keep getting an error message while trying to initiate the installation by browsing to default.aspx. The error message is just a basic .net error message telling me that there is a problem but that I have to set customErrors mode to off if I want more details about the error. I did set it to off in the web.config file but it made no difference.

After doing a little more looking around It seems that I have to have JodoHost make some permission changes so I opened up a ticket to have that done and that's where I'm at now. Hopefully it will work once the changes are made.

I'm very experienced in ASP but have never used ASP.NET so it's quite a bit different.

Thanks for your reply.

Ya, there are permissions the Jodo needs to setup on the web server and the database servers. Let me know if you have other issues once Jodo gets it setup for you. I've been working with DNN for about 1 month now, but I've got it running very smoothly now. I've even wrote some of my own custom modules for it.

Which version of what? I'm running DNN 4.3.4, install version. The source version has a bug in it where the registering new users is buggy so I went with the install version.

if you use DNN 4, you also need ASP.NET 2.0.

If using DNN 3.x, you need to utilize ASP.NET 1.1.
If you want to use ASP.NET 2.0 you will need to submit a ticket.
before you start the setup please submit a ticket with your DNN version(so we can know the asp.net version), we also need to set file permissions and database permissions.

I have been talking with Prakash and he had me create a new account. Now I'm on win17 so I should be able to use version 4 right? I just updated my ticket so that he can give me dbo access for my sql server user and give ASP.NET the correct permissions. is that all that needs to be done?

My ticket number is RS #JTX-39251-701

Thanks for all the help.

ok, it's all setup and worked on the first try. yea I'm not as stupid as I was starting to think :) Now all I have to do is play with it until I have it all figured out.

Thanks again for your help guys.

I have already given you DBO permissions and enabled ASP.NET 2.0 on your domain newly created on Win17 server, also gave needed permission. You should like to check reply of your ticket. For further assistance please come on live chat or open a ticket.

I have installed DNN 4 on my web site. I have used prior versions in the past and was satisfied with the speed. However, my speed is very slow with this install. Once you go to a page it is cached but the first time it takes sometimes minutes to display.

Do you have any suggestions on how to speed things up or is it an issue with DNN or with our environment?

My website is http:\\www.goehringfamily.com

Thanks for any suggestions.

How did you install DNN, from source or the compiled version?

DNN4 can have some slow compiles from what I have seen, even on a dedicated server with one site it can take 15-20 seconds at times on the first hit.

Back