DotNetNuke

I run close to 100 DNN sites on Jodo and am very pleased.

Here is what I do,

- I create the empty database within the hsphere control panel for the particular domain
- I add 'default.aspx' to the Directory Indexes on the 'Web Options' control page (at the bottom)
- I ftp the DNN core files to the domain root
- I make the web.config edits and upload that file
- I open a support ticket and request the tech team upzip the DNN.zip and set all permissions

In an amazingly short period of time - I'm then able to hit the site to launch the DNN install script

I can't say enough about the support team, they are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

Hope this helps

Pat

That is the way things happen, sometimes problems arrise, one of the more common that I know Pat has experienced, is for some reason or another the FTP client does not fully upload the one of the files in the/bin folder. When this is the case, we typically resolve it by extracting the DNN over itself and continuing.
Also when adding modules, people get redirection errors at time, this is not DNN or the server side fault, just little differences in some modules that can cause issues.

You can also upload a ZIP file via FTP, then use the online file manager to extract it. I've done this and it works very well.

Hey Homer,

I've not used the file manager for anything as yet, thanks for the tip on using it to upzip the package. I'll do that and simply have the support team set permissions.

Thanks,

Pat

phowlett said:
I've not used the file manager for anything as yet, thanks for the tip on using it to upzip the package. I'll do that and simply have the support team set permissions.

I discovered this trick the other week. I always have a heck of a time trying to upload hundreds of files at a time. It doesn't matter what hosting service it is, it happens everywhere. I got a (free) program called Smart FTP and it works great! It is a bit confusing at first but once you get the hang of it you will see how powerful it is. But even that ftp app has problems sometimes. I guess it's just the nature of ftp.

Anyway, I realized I could upload a ZIP and tell File Manager to unzip it. Typically everything in the zip is withing a subdirectory when it is zipped and the full path is stored, so when it is unzipped it goes into its own subdirectory. This isn't always the case though, so be careful.

Uploading a single file that is smaller than the total combined because it is a ZIP, and unzipping it on the server is so much faster.

Good luck with DNN.

A bit off topic, but I found smartftp works very well myself, however if you have THOUSANDS of files, it will time out quite a bit, while filezilla ( http://filezilla.sf.net ) will smoke through them all.

Back