Downloading large IMAP messages

I've been reading about the recent mail troubles so I'm thinking my problem is related to that. I use Outlook to check my mail via IMAP and recently it won't display messages that seem to be over a certain size. I have a message that's 46 KB that it displays fine, but another one from the same sender that's 68 KB will not display. They used to work fine and I could read them in Outlook last week.

Is there some kind of cap on how large a message an IMAP client can download now? I should add reading the message via Horde works, just not Outlook.

HORDE is also using IMAP, so no nothing there.
I looked through Outlook 2007 it doesn't seem to have a threshold for what is downloaded and stored and what is not, on Thunderbird you can set messages at X size to download and work offline and over that limit will have to download authorize, and connect it each time you open.

It's definitely a weird thing I'm seeing. New mail is coming in and I can read it fine, but messages over a certain size Outlook refuses to load. I've already tried deleting the account in Outlook and re-adding it but the behavior persists. I even used Horde to forward an offending message to my Hotmail account and Outlook could read it from that account. But when I used Horde to forward it to my account here Outlook again balked.

Do you think the recent mail issues could affect the behavior I'm seeing?

I've been doing some more testing and determined it doesn't matter which message I view, the size of it is what is key in keeping Outlook from displaying it. I can read messages up to 61 KB in size, but not 67 KB. (Not sure where the real cutoff is since those are the closest ranges I can find in my inbox.) What actually happens in Outlook is that it freezes while trying to load the message. I can't click on menus and if I focus another application and try to focus Outlook again it won't respond. Eventually it does respond and says it can't display the message. The messages I'm having trouble with used to work because I remember reading them, so this is definitely a recent issue. I'm using Outlook 2007 BTW.

I am having linux admins take a look but I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the changes made (and that would only be on mail2 server on cluster2)

Out of curiosity, could you try the same on Thunderbird with IMAP?

Sorry I didn't reply, I got busy and couldn't afford to spend more time on this.

It's nothing to do with the servers here. That same day I tried checking my messages from home and they worked fine. Today I asked the network admin here at work and it turns out they had some configuration in place that checked IMAP messages above a certain size and took special action against them. It also affected other issues too according to the admin.

Anyway, sorry about raising this issue here. Seriously, you guys do a good job.

Back