Drupal on Linux: register_globals, mbstring and Clean URLs

squidz

Perch
I have ported a Drupal install from a Win server to a Linux account. There are certain items that I must configure but I am not familiar with Jodo's Linux set up and haven't actually worked with a Linux server in a few years and this is my first Drupal install as well. So, I'm hoping for some guidance from y'all.

First: I need to disable "register_globals" and "Multibyte string input conversion in PHP is active and must be disabled." I understand that I must do this via .htaccess. However, is it an edit to an existing .htaccess or do I need to create one and where?

Second: I need mod_rewrite on and to determine what else is required to activate Clean URLs for this Drupal install.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I found a sample .htaccess file online that included the basic entries for Drupal which included all three of those items listed above. If anyone else is in need, drop a request here.

As an additional note, if your .htaccess entries do not appear to work, make sure that there is only a single space between the variable and the value, from a response on the Drupal site:

For unknown reasons, my server just doesn't know how to parse the default .htaccess file. Even though the default .htaccess file has all settings and their values neatly aligned, the server i am on doesn't accept space/tab between the setting and its value. After having struggled for a long while, i discovered that there could only be a single space character between "php_value mbstring.http_input" and "pass". Adding extra space/tab to align all values caused the server to skip parsing that setting.

So, if you experience that some of the settings in your .htaccess file gets ignored, try to remove all uneccesary space and tab characters.

This worked for me solving the mbstring issue

I found a sample .htaccess file online that included the basic entries for Drupal which included all three of those items listed above. If anyone else is in need, drop a request here.

I know this message is a few years old, but if you still have a copy of that .htaccess file I'd love to get a copy. I'm having this same issue with my drupal install.

The Drupal download zip file has an .htaccess file in it......remember to take out the extra spaces.........z

Back