DTS Package - XLS File Connection Stays Open - How to close?

sp202

Guppy
I have a DTS package that is importing an xls file into a sql server database. one of the last steps of the package is to move the file to an archive directory -- the move command is not working because I'm getting the error that 'the connection is still open' to the xls file. any thoughts on how to close the connection to that xls file so that it can be moved to another directory?

Thanks!

sp202 said:
I have a DTS package that is importing an xls file into a sql server database. one of the last steps of the package is to move the file to an archive directory -- the move command is not working because I'm getting the error that 'the connection is still open' to the xls file. any thoughts on how to close the connection to that xls file so that it can be moved to another directory?

Thanks!

Try adding an SQL task before the move step, leave the SQL statement blank and use the same connection as your Excel spreadsheet. Then Right click the SQL task you have just added and select workflow-->workflow properties-->Option. Now put a tick in close connection on completion. I use this method when creating Excel spreadsheets and emailing them in DTS. I'm sure there are better ways to do this, but it works for me!

Back