Email Traffic

YsFred4

Guppy
From the thread that xscott made and from my own observations on my mail accounts it looks like we are getting "charged" for traffic for messages that bounce back from our servers. I deleted an email account that was getting a huge number of spam messages. Well in the 3 days that my traffic counters have been reset, it shows 217.9M is email traffic on a domain with only 1 email account set to the default 10M. I know that i didnt fill this mailbox up 20+ time in the last 3 days. This means that my email address that the spammers have is still getting hit and i am getting "charged" for that traffic.

This means that is someone picks any domain on jodohost and starts sending emails to [email protected] that if the doamin did not have a catch all, you would never see the traffic and eventually you could get all of your traffic for the account used up by the spammer to leave us with paying for the bandwidth that we actually use?

This does not seem fair that a spammer can effectively eat all of my traffic for the month and I never see any indication that it was happening until I get a larger bill from jodohost about additional traffic usage over my limit.

If that is the case, if a spammer eats up all your bandwidth we'd investigate it and ensure you are not charged.

But H-Sphere is still counting it (or whatever H-Sphere uses) so we cannot get an accurate total for our email usage.

this something you should bring up at www.psoft.net's forum. However from our side, we won't charge you if you exceed usage on the basis of email

Glad to hear that Yash since in xscott's thread it seemed like the traffic would still be counted and you didn't reply to my post on 9/27 about it.

OK, I turned on a Catch-all for an email box of the site with the above Mail Traffic issue. I sat refreshing the webmail and in about 10-15min there were "Page 8 of 8 141 to 154 of 154 Messages".

It was all incoming spam by the bucket loads. Is there a way to just disable email to that domain so it gets rejected? What could be some options?

from my last post on prior thread. http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=2804

What investigating can be done? Verify that it is bounced back spam and not bill for bandwith or can it be traced back to servers sending it?

What information do you need? Do I or my client need to get you more info?

We are very clear in our policy. We will not charge for this kind of traffic.

Anyone who feels being charged due to this kind of usage (and any other also), please contact our Billing Dept. Excess charges will be reversed immediatley. Next, either we will convince customer his usage is correctly billed or there will be no charges till such time.

Atul said:
We are very clear in our policy. We will not charge for this kind of traffic.

That is very much apprieciated, I guess I was hoping for some type of solution of reporting or contacting the spammers originating servers to reduce/elimnate the issue.

But I am not aware of all related issues and can cope with current policy.

thanks.

Back