Enterprise Manager + mssql1.js.com

DirtBag

Perch
As you can read from the topic, I have a database on mssql1.jodoshared.com

i like to use Enterprise Manager (not the web versionb but the real thing) to administer my databases with. But when connecting to the server and opening the databases folder, info about all databases on the server is downloaded. This means that EM will stop for up to 15 minutes and will take a big part of my 64k ISDN connection. Its a pain in the a$$

is there any way to limit this shit to only download the databases the user i have logged in with have permissions to? like in the web edition..

thank you for all help

DirtBag said:
is there any way to limit this shit to only download the databases the user i have logged in with have permissions to? like in the web edition..

thank you for all help

I recently did a windows .net application that interfaced with the same dll that is basically the guts of EM (sqldmo.dll I think). I ran into exactly the same problem. But I am sorry to tell you I was not able to find a way to limit the database names the dll retrieves -- that's just the way they wrote it.

riley

ok...

maybe there is an option in EM? or on the server?

if not, is it possible to group the databases into smaller groups? so that i just download that group.. with a virtual address to each group or something? named pipes? whateva..

cuz this is really a pain in the ass, and I cant administer my database without getting a backup from the ticket crew and make changes locally and then upload the backup again and then wait till its restored.. this is what i have done now, but the guy who has helped me had some problems with restoring the database, and now he's probably sleeping or something, so my database will remain uncomplete till he manage to fix it..

Hey DB,

I had the same problem with EM hanging up like that ... and I've got a DSL connection. Heck, I didn't even wait long enough for the program to finallly open because I remember someone else on another forum claim that it will do that unless you upgrade to Service Pack 3. So I did that, and it now opens the databases in less than a minute.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/2000/sp3.asp

Jim

hmmmm.. thanks for the advice, but its a pain in the ass to download between 45 and 170 mb with 64k ISDN too..
but ill try to get a copy of SP3, and see how it works..

DirtBag said:
hmmmm.. thanks for the advice, but its a pain in the ass to download between 45 and 170 mb with 64k ISDN too..
but ill try to get a copy of SP3, and see how it works..

What are you doing that "actually" requires enterprise manager?

why not just see the query analyzer and sql code/system procs?

in the transact sql help file all of the system procs should be decribed under:
System Stored Procedures/Listed

Adding and deleting tables and stored procedures
Adding and deleting columns
Adding, editing and deleting data in tables

editing and deleting data cant be done with asp.net EM..

and I don't know how to use the query analyzer, nor do I know what it is

DirtBag said:
editing and deleting data cant be done with asp.net EM..

and I don't know how to use the query analyzer, nor do I know what it is

if you have enterprize manager then you should also have the query analyzer...

examples taken from the query analyzer helpfile:

INSERT INTO MyTable (PriKey, Description)
VALUES (123, 'A description of part 123.')

UPDATE authors SET au_fname = 'Fred' WHERE au_lname = 'White'

delete from authors where au_lname = 'white'

more on sql syntax and example can be found at:

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

ya ok.. i know how to write scripts to manage database, but it's hell alot of work to write one SQL statement for every thing i want to do with the database

but thanks for the help anyway

You may want to try the third party DB manager listed below.

I recently talked to someone over at Microsoft about how to get EM without SQL Server. It is possible to do this if you pay a $150 client licensing fee. It is not available seperate from SQL and therefore this is why no one can find the download. There are a couple of different options however. You can purchase the Developers edition of SQL server for $50. It includes SQL Server and EM. You must accept the licensing agreement that it won't be used on a production server. It may even be limited to 5 connections (I don't remember.) At this point it makes more sense to buy the developers edition. Microsoft didn't come right out and say it but I think that they stopped sending EM with MSDE because they weren't making a profit from it.

I also came across a nice 3'rd party database administrator program that works for SQL Server. It is DbaMgr2K available at: http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtm It doesn't have all of the features as EM but it works for most peoples needs. Best part is that it's free. Another nice thing about it is that it doesn't take years to open the database folder like EM. Microsoft should take a hint from this. One caveat; DbaMgr2K sometimes tries to open other databases other than your default. This gives some errors when tring to run some procedures. The same error doesn't happen when using EM. Overall I think it's a pretty good program.

PS: (I read somewhere that the evaluation version of Microsoft's EM doesn't expire after the three month trial period and only the SQL Server engine. I guess that I'll find out in about 2 months. I'm still using the eval. version of EM. Could always try to re-install it I guess.)

Hope this helps.

tonto said:
I also came across a nice 3'rd party database administrator program that works for SQL Server. It is DbaMgr2K available at: http://www.asql.biz/DbaMgr.shtm It doesn't have all of the features as EM but it works for most peoples needs. Best part is that it's free. Another nice thing about it is that it doesn't take years to open the database folder like EM.

It did takes pretty long to open the list for me, not quite as long as Enterprise Manager I guess though. I've noticed a couple of times that when I open a table design for editing, it sometimes 'forgets' to set the 'is identity' flag on my ID column, so basically I have to double check the current settings of the table before I make changes and save them..

I'm not really sure if I thrust this application is well tested :(

tonto said:
(I read somewhere that the evaluation version of Microsoft's EM doesn't expire after the three month trial period and only the SQL Server engine.

Correct. Mine has been installed for a year and half now and it's still working ;)

i thought DbaMgr only worked with local server.. at least, that was what i got when i tried to connect to mssql1.js.com..

but i use the solution as riggers came with as a temporary(?) solution until i find another way..

DirtBag said:
i thought DbaMgr only worked with local server.. at least, that was what i got when i tried to connect to mssql1.js.com..

but i use the solution as riggers came with as a temporary(?) solution until i find another way..
You can use DbaMgr for accessing any mssql database no matter where it is located. You just have to set it up for tcp\ip network library and it should work. Another nice solution is MS Access.

Tonto

SubSpace said:
It did takes pretty long to open the list for me, not quite as long as Enterprise Manager I guess though. I've noticed a couple of times that when I open a table design for editing, it sometimes 'forgets' to set the 'is identity' flag on my ID column, so basically I have to double check the current settings of the table before I make changes and save them..

I'm not really sure if I thrust this application is well tested :(

Correct. Mine has been installed for a year and half now and it's still working ;)
I prefer to use MS EM as well for that reason. I only use DbaMgr once in a while if I have to use dialup. I don't have much of an issue when connecting with MS's EM because I have cable modem.

Tonto

tonto said:
I prefer to use MS EM as well for that reason. I only use DbaMgr once in a while if I have to use dialup. I don't have much of an issue when connecting with MS's EM because I have cable modem.

Bandwidth isn't the issue with EM, it's latency. Which I have plenty of, being on the other side of the Atlantic ;)
For JodoHost support, being in India, it must be hell :p

Back