Error logging into Plesk Control Panel

my Plesk control panel throws an error when trying to login as normal. here's what happened: i have several sites on my VPS and one of them was not allowing me to login to my AWStats -- even though i was providing the exact same username and password as i do for FTP on that account.

so i logged in the Plesk CP to see if there was a problem (and Plesk CP was working fine at that point)... i checked the folder permissions for the /plesk-stat/webstat/ folder for that account and every thing appeared fine. so i decided to run the Plesk Reconfigurator from the remote descktop to try to repair the permissions because clearly the AWStats protected folder wasn't working properly... i ran it, and it told me that there was indeed an error with the /plesk-stat/webstat/ folder and fixed it....

AND then.... all of a sudden, logging into the Plesk CP throws an error. it says:

Server Error in '/' Application.
Runtime Error

it appears like an ASP.NET style error, but that's wierd because i thought Plesk uses PHP.

and then notice how it won't even tell me what the error is. it recommends that i try it on the local machine to find out what the error is, so i do -- i pull up Internet Explorer on the remote desktop of my VPS and go to my Plesk CP address and all it simply says is "Service Unavailable"

so to recap, when i go to login to the Plesk CP, the login page shows up just fine, then when i click login, i get this .NET style error page with no way of really knowing what the error is. i've rebooted the server to see if that would change anything, but it didn't. and i logged into the Virtuozzo Power Panel and restarted the VPS and that didn't do anything.

and here's another weird thing. after logging in to the Power Panel, if i don't log out and instead go to the Plesk CP login page, i see this weird Plesk/Virtuozzo hybrid control panel.

and just for fun, i wondered what would happen if i tried to click on "Domains"... i got that same error message.

please help! :)

I don't remember your VPS ID, send a ticket along and we will check, not one I have ever seen before.

my VPS is 371...

for some reason, the Plesk SSL Wrapper Service fails to start. that might be why i can't login to the CP. any thoughts on things to check?

ok, i've seemed to figure out at least what was responsible for the problem... i had ISAPI_ReWrite installed on the server... and it was working just fine before i ran the Plesk Reconfigurator to repair permissions. but for some reason, i could not get the Plesk CP to play nicely again with ISAPI_Rewrite without completely uninstalling it. perhaps now reinstalling ISAPI_Rewrite won't cause Plesk CP to go bonkers :p

ps. for some reason, running Reconfigurator caused the configuration file (stunnel.conf) for Stunnel (Plesk's SSL wrapper service) to reset. it was no longer pointing to an actual certificate file. so the SSL Wrapper service failed to load until i put the path to the Plesk cert. now it's working again. whew!

use Reconfigurator with caution :twitch:

ISAPI_rewrite doesn't play nice in general, hence we don't offer it even though many clients protest much :)

in case anyone is interested, just after my last post i reinstalled ISAPI_Rewrite. and everything is working again... my mod_rewrites are working and my Plesk CP is working.

Back