Favorite Programming Language?

thdrought

Perch
What is your favorite programming language for your sites?

I have been using mostly ASP for my sites developed on the Internet, and ASP with VB for Intranets. Recently, I've had the oppurtunity to use CGI and SOAP-Lite, and found it faster than straight ASP. Personally, I do not like PHP, can't really say why...just never got into it.

How about you? What do you prefer? What are your experience? If other, post it!

Thanks.

thdrought said:
What is your favorite programming language for your sites?

Refuse to vote until you include all of the scripting languages supported by Jodohost ;)

You're missing ColdFusion, which is what I use to make my living.

i started out with asp / vb doing all sorts of stuff and then i moved on to .net / C# (which was pretty slick i must say)... i also didnt like php for some reason...

that changed however when i started using it, and now i love it (for the most part)

Perl CGI is too ugly for my taste, though SOAP::Lite works pretty nicely from what I've seen ;)

ASP is ok apart from VBScript syntax, I think I slightly prefer PHP over ASP even though it's sometimes sloppy, but the difference is minor enough that I'll usually just choose based on server platform.

ASP.net is very nice, but I haven't done many full projects in it yet. I'm slowly porting a hobby site of mine and I generally like it. So far I've been unable to port some of my favorite database helper classes that I have in PHP (I have an ASP version, but even though it works it's extremely ugly).

I can't remember exactly why it wouldn't work the way I wanted, it's been a while :p

With 70% of webservers using Apache, and with Apache being (by far) the preferred environment for PHP, I think surely PHP will continue to be the dominant language, though ASP.NET will continue to keep a similar market share to what they have now.

I love Cold Fusion, and although its definitely not as powerfull as OOP languages, I think it blows the pants off and owns all other front end development languages.

I'm a bit late on this thread, but oh well. :p

Well, i can't really decide...

PHP is my first language, and I am probably best in that. However, i also like Perl a lot, though it is more complicated. I am getting hooked on ColdFusion :) and I also want to learn ASP.NET.

So, um...I can't vote, because I don't have a favorite at this point.

Hmmm...never tried Cold Fusion (thought it was something to do with nuclear physics, so therefore a tad difficult - like long division). My fav is asp.net

I'm ASP.NET all the way. Coldfusion is cool but it has a variety of issues that make it very irritating to work with intricate site designs. Which is weird because you would think with things like flash forms and grids that it would be the best, but it's actually very limiting.

Just wait for SQL Server 2005 and Visual Studio .NET 2005 and see what people think ;). CSharp and VB code in stored procedures with full access to the .NET framework. Sounds pretty sweet to me. Not to mention the tons of of features for datagrids and things along those lines. "80% less coding required"

I think I prefer the power of C# because I can use it with multiple app types. I can make a dll then use it in a web app, a web service, a console app, a winders app, in a specialized control. I think Java can do a lot of the same on the other side of the fence just haven't had need until now to play with it. Cold fusion I agree makes fast sites, but when I have to do heavy data work I want compiled power. Still toying with mixeing the CF front end with C# backends. Being forced to learn perl for work and a solaris system.

PS> Thdrought we used to live near Stuttgart - little town called Groetzingen. Is there still a small inn called Bier Academie there or that big country bar off the bahn on the way to esslingen? Really enjoyed being in Germany.

Back