Few Windows server down

Stephen

US Operations
Staff member
Windows update decided to force a reboot on a node when I was logged in checking it, and it's installing updates now, this took a handful of VMs down for a moment while it is rebooting for updates.

Saying at 100% done now but still churning, waiting on the updates to complete fully.

Servers are coming live in the background even though I cannot yet fully login and see their status, just one or two still any issue now.

There's still 2 servers down now, and the node still saying it is on 100% complete but not allowing me to see past it, very annoying. If there werent most of the servers up already I'd be concerned there was a problem, but most are going well.

I'm giving it 10 more minutes of waiting then I have to take the action of rebooting the node to get it in control again, as the two remaining VMs are still down. This will mean others back down for a bit, but we hope to have them back up ASAP if this action is required.

I've rebooted the node, and Windows updates again have run but took a bit longer to complete this time, and again at 100% Now, The servers are coming up in the background, again, and I'm hoping that they will all come up but if not it looks like it is going to be a waiting matter to get the remainder online when it completes the updates only.

We'll be waiting this one out, the servers not up yet are on the SAN storage which is coming in boot after the update processes, so it is not able to complete boot of the SAN storage based virtual machines. At this point the windows updates have to complete to get us control again to fix the situation and complete the bootup. We cannot move past the updating screen in login, locally on keyboard, or on remote side, so have few options but just waiting it to be done. As this happened without being planned, we were unable to give notice of the update time frame. We will be taking note of this, checking logs, finding which update moved so slowly, and trying to prevent other nodes from seeing the same extreme length of installation timeframe. This is unacceptably long in time to process updates.

Back