FireFox and ASP.Net 2.0

I have a customer that has a website built on ASP.Net 2.0. The site displays fine in IE but displays only the URL in the main window in FireFox. Another site this customer made with almost identical code works fine in both on another server. They are going to be moving this site to me here at JH, but want to ensure it works just like it does on their current server before moving here.

One piece the gave me was this:

<meta http-equiv='Content-type' content='text/html; charset=UTF-8' />

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Ben

I didn't think so either. But I am curious why it seems that IE is getting the data back and displaying properly, but Firefox, which is also getting data, is not able to display anything other than the URL in the normal web page window. Also note, that it doesn't appear that any code is getting to FireFox, as you can't "view source" on that non-working page, yet when you go to the other similarly programmed page, it works fine.

I guess you are talking about the site "winn######ers_com", there is some java applet which is loading with the site, try disabling that and see if it works

Hmm, that meta tag could be the problem actually. If it depends on the meta tag to identify data as HTML, you have yourself a chicken/egg problem.
Namely, if the browser doesn't know it's reading HTML, why on earth would it attempt to process HTML meta tags?
Maybe Internet Explorer does it for some reason, but I can surely imagine other browsers wouldn't. Secondly, UTF-8 is not a character set, but rather an encoding method.

I'm not sure why this would be needed, as the default content type for an .aspx page is text/html. You could explicitly set it in ASP.net using:

Code:
Response.ContentType = "text/html";
Response.ContentEncoding = System.Text.Encoding.UTF8;

That should result in some HTTP response headers, eliminating the need for the META tag.

You could start with viewing the source in Firefox of the resulting "blank" page. If the source is all there, then it's likely a rendering problem in the browser, and you will have to find the problem in the output of the .net app.

However, if there is nothing there, then it could be that the .net app is testing to see what browser is being used and is failing when trying to do something specific for non-IE browsers.

Nothing is getting to the browser. Not sure how it is testing for stuff against Firefox. This is so strange, and the plain fact that the code works on another server and not on this one is very very weird.

Reflection doesn't work at JodoHost? 0.o
I'm not running much .NET at all at Jodo, but that's nasty..

in fact, that would break data binding features for starters.. So I guess that's what you meant? :)

SubSpace,

Actually just asking for clarification, reflection in medium trust can have some permissions issues, but it normally complains not outputs a blank page :)

I suppose medium trust would prevent you from accessing private and protected members using reflection? You can do some 'interesting' stuff with that.. Nothing directly threatening to a shared hosting environment though, afaik..
Lots of people don't even know you can access private members this way, so I kinda doubt that would be the problem, but hey, never know :)

As for the page not outputting anything.. Maybe the page has some "sophisticated" error handling
Code:
try
{
 ... do lots of stuff
}
catch
{
}

:D

This is the strange part, almost the exact same code (differing only in the Data in the DB and some front-end looks) is running just fine on another server to both Firefox and IE. I'm wondering what could be different from one secured server to another. Could something in the global machine.config be messing with things?

Just thought I'd post the fix for this. The developer was able to remove the counter that was causing the issue (never knew counters had the ability to be useless and destructive at the same time) :).. Now the site works great in IE, FireFox, and Opera.

Back