Fireworks

Jussin

Guppy
I have Macromedia Studio MX 2004 which comes with Fireworks. Some tell me that I should be using photoshop for my image manipulation, but I feel differently. (I already spent the money for the studio)

I am having trouble finding books or tutorials written for this program. There are a plethora of them available at any bookseller and multitudes of web pages dedicated to Photoshop. Does anybody have any ideas of where to start with Fireworks?

- Jussin

Fireworks is more web graphics than image manipulation, you won't find much on that topic about it. There is however quite a bit about it on the web button/flash creation/vector graphics area.

Jussin, if you're doing photo-manipulation, then Photoshop is definitely the better choice. However, for anything web-related Fireworks is far superior. As stephen mentioned, it's more geared towards vector-based web buttons, etc. They are different tools - but if you only have Fireworks, you can do most things with it apart from the really tricky photo stuff.

Here's one strong point: I do a lot of sites for photographers. When they send me JPEGS from Photoshop they can sometimes be huge - even web preview sizes. I usually request the original .psd file, open it in Fireworks and save from there, with substantial savings in file size and download time, and no visible difference in image quality.

each program has it's benefits. Photoshop can make jpgs just as small as fireworks. The problem is that most people don't know how to use it properly. Each app has it's strong points and weak points. Photoshop is definitely more geared towards photo manipulation while fireworks is more towards graphics creation. Each one has great tools for "chopping" up images and creating html code (though I'd suggest rewriting the code that either of them create).

Back