General Email Question

I've had to ask a couple of questions out of sheer ignorance before, and I've got another. Thanks for bearing with me.

When I send an email (using outlook 2002), and then click the "Send and Recieve All" option, it seems that the email should be sent immiediately right?

Well, it doesn't appear to be working that way. I've tested this by sending an email to 3 different email accounts. Each time, the email takes between 10 minutes and half an hour to get to it's destination. I'm nearly certain that the problem is not with the recipient email addresses. Is it normal for email going through a pop3/smptp server to take that long? I've never really used any email services other than free webmail based services, but the emails I sent before were almost always delivered within a few moments (with rare exceptions).

Any idea why it's taking so long? If so, can it be fixed and if so, how?

Thanks,
Ryan

Shouldn't take that long

I think its spending 99% of that time in your outbox instead. Make sure it is sent immediately by checking your outbox

Which server are you on? The new or old?

The new cluster is sending mail immediately. Connection to the SMTP server takes a good 20 or 30 seconds though and this sometimes causes mail to stack up in my outbox for some reason.

Yash said:
Shouldn't take that long

I think its spending 99% of that time in your outbox instead. Make sure it is sent immediately by checking your outbox

It's not sitting in my outbox. I type the message. Hit the "Send" button. Then click the Tools menu, Send/Recieve, then the "Send and Recieve All" menu option. That clears out my outbox. The mail is not sitting in my outbox, but still takes a ridiculously long time to get to it's destination.

As far as what server I'm on, I haven't been made aware that I was transfered, nor have I manually transfered my site to the new servers, so I assume I'm on one of the "old" servers, but I'm not sure. Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Ryan

Back