Gmail & Hotmail for Domains

We have changed the localhosts to work with a proper FQDN now as well, they can still get blocked in some cases but mail delievery is much better now overall.
So, does that mean I should be using localhost instead of the FQDN in the code? By your reply it doesn't seem to make any difference whether I use localhost or the FQDN.

Thanks for the quick reply.

.brit

So, does that mean I should be using localhost instead of the FQDN in the code? By your reply it doesn't seem to make any difference whether I use localhost or the FQDN.

Thanks for the quick reply.

.brit

ok what I mean here is that localhost is using a FQDN as identifier to mail servers that it connects with, we typically still recommend using SMTP Auth with mail.domain.com as it is fully rDNSed, FQDN, etc, however localhost is quite reliable in most cases now as well.

ok what I mean here is that localhost is using a FQDN as identifier to mail servers that it connects with, we typically still recommend using SMTP Auth with mail.domain.com as it is fully rDNSed, FQDN, etc, however localhost is quite reliable in most cases now as well.
Gotcha.

That being said, why is my mail submitted through web forms still going to the old mail server vs. the google servers? All MX records referencing old servers have been removed. Should I also modify the CNAME record? Currently mail.[domain].com still points to an old server. I'm thinking it should point to ghs.google.com, but I'm unsure and don't want to make that change until I can get some confirmation.

Gotcha.

That being said, why is my mail submitted through web forms still going to the old mail server vs. the google servers? All MX records referencing old servers have been removed. Should I also modify the CNAME record? Currently mail.[domain].com still points to an old server. I'm thinking it should point to ghs.google.com, but I'm unsure and don't want to make that change until I can get some confirmation.

if those addresses exist on the local server it will go there first, so make sure they don't exist. Should be fine to change the CNAME as well since they aren't needing it to connect to their webmail etc.

DON'T do this on a service domain, but for a client domain, no issue.

Back