H-Sphere & Mail Forwarding - not working?

Andre

Guppy
Question 1) I've setup some email accounts under H-Sphere and the "Mail Forward" option doesn't seem to forward the mail to my client's email addresses (ATT and Gmail addresses).

If I use the Mailbox option, and create a mailbox, mail does come to the mailbox as I can see it via webmail but emails are not forwarded.

Is there anything I can check to diagnose the problem? I've tried forwarding to a variety of different email addresses with different domains (gmail, earthlink, att and personal domain email accounts) and I still can't get the forwarded emails.

Question 2) I'm migrating a PHP site from another host and it uses the built-in PHP Mail to send email notifications from the website. I read that you do not support the builtin PHP mail class. Do I have to recode the mailing script to use PHPMailer instead? That's no problem, as I'm familiar with PHPMailer. If so, do I simply just use SMTP address (mail.mydomain.com), port 25, mail username and password?

On q1, my forwarded addresses seem to be working okay. As I understand it, if email for particular domains starts coming from a new IP it is treated with suspicion by the likes of Gmail. Enabling SPF for the domain might help. You could try forwarding to another JH mailbox to check if it's working at all, though.

On q2, see some tips here http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?t=22490

Thanks for the reply.

Can I enable SPF from Hsphere or do I have to make a support request?

I think you are right about Gmail being suspicious. Some emails do get forwarded but not all for some reason.

Go to Email in the control panel. You should see an option under Mail Service to turn on SPF. Not sure if it's enabled in all accounts, but it seems worthwhile to enable 'Mail Domain Keys Manager' too, especially if you use Yahoo, Hotmail, or any associated ISPs (in the US, anyhow.)

If you send mail for any sources that are not in the MX record for the domain, i.e. from your ISP account or Gmail or whatever, you should also click the Tools icon and change the 'SPF Mechanism prefix' to 'Neutral'. I think the default is Fail, which you don't want unless all your mail goes through JH servers only.

Back