Have to love spamhaus

There is some truth to this and I have been noticing complaints coming to us with ips out of our control :( a /20 is a huge block to have blocked and we have ips through this range, but the listed IPs and complaints are NOT us.

I have lots of people complaining about this. In fact several forums setup to auth through your very own servers are getting errors sending emails because of this. Sure hope something happens quickly since your own servers are blocking emails from itself. (ie win14 sending email through mail4)

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 451 http://www.spamhaus.org/SBL/sbl.lasso?query=SBL45306

yes I am working on it, have sent a message and hope it gets through soon, I gave them all our IPs in this range and asked to be removed.

I just got an email from the spamhaus team and they expect it to be off in a few hours or less now.

The listing for our IPs is off now, some others in the range are listed, but none of JH IPs are on the spamhaus list.

mail4 is rejecting email generated from Win14 by local accounts with the following error:

The server rejected one or more recipient addresses. The server response was: 451 http://www.spamhaus.org/SBL/sbl.lasso?query=SBL45306

When I check that link, Spamhous reports:

The reference SBL45306 is not in the SBL database.

This may be because the issue has been resolved and removed from the SBL.

What gives?

I opened a ticket related to this error about 4 hours ago: DRW-52819-366 - So far no response.

[EDIT: I got a response a few minutes ago finally, but they just wanted to examine my code.]

Well mail4 IP is not listed in spamhaus. If you click on that link you'll see the IP is not listed. So I am thinking this is an earlier email you sent that got bounced.
No further emails should have this issue

You might check with Ranjan if you are looking for root cause.

Because that IP wasn't listed (I checked the URL myself before I started posting and opening tickets), I was completely baffeled why Mail4 would continue to reject the mail, and I was sending test messages every few minutes.

They were all rejected.

Around 10:55 pm central daylight time, it started working. About a minute later I got this message from Ranjan:

"May be web server ip was blocked due to spammer. Please let us know ify ou still facing same problem. we will explain to you why your mail is not sending.
sorry for all inconvenience."

So obviously he was working on something that fixed it. Perhaps Mail4 hadn't been updated with the latest Spamhaus info?

In any case, it's fixed now. Thanks.

There was some time overlap between when Ranjan replied and when we were working on the matter with spamhaus. At the bottom of that page it says that it updates its database hourly from the newly supplied information. I posted at 9:51pm CDT and you posted about 30 minutes later. It is possible mail4 was still cached or the listing had not been pushed out as resolved at that point.

Main thing is that it is resolved now, and the IP provider will hopefully police their network better in the future.

Back