Help with access database

jhoelz

Perch
I need some help connecting to my Access database.
I have had you enable Parent Paths.
I have ftp'd a databse (mdb) file to my root directory (same level as mydomain.net) and I have tried to connect to it using the following strings (this is for a webwiz forum)

strCon = "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" & strDbPathAndName
the path used as follows...
strPortalDbPathAndName = Server.MapPath("../mydb.mdb")
error message...
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x684 Thread 0xcb4 DBC 0xa9d3024 Jet'.

/portal/forum/admin/functions/portal_connections.asp, line 62

The other string is...
strCon = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=" & strDbPathAndName
the path used...
strPortalDbPathAndName = Server.MapPath("../mydb.mdb")
error...
Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'

Could not find file 'D:\hshome\jhoelz\darkrift.net\mydb.mdb'.

/portal/forum/admin/functions/portal_connections.asp, line 62

What could I be doing wrong?
I want to use a dsn less connection if possible..

I have also installed a MsSql db and when I try to access that I get the following...

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e09'

EXECUTE permission denied on object 'wwfSpActiveUsersWhereIPis', database 'jhoelz_drport', owner 'dbo'.

/portal/forum/includes/active_users_inc.asp, line 85

Thanks for your help

Your SQL Server problem is that your username on SQL Server is not in the DB Owner (DBO) group. JodoHost must put your username into this group for you. I had the same problem.

I used to have the Access version of WWF running on my site, I have since changed to the SQL Server version. With Access, I used the hardcoded path in the strDbPathAndName variable. The reason I did this was it made it easier to access the database, which I put in the root directory, inside a Database directory, in a single defined connection string, instead of multiple ones for the subdirectories inside the Forum directory, like the admin directory. (If that makes any sense.) There appears to be no reason not to use hardcoded paths. (I already asked that question here.) If you change webhosts it's easy enough just to change your strDbPathAndName variable again.

If you don't want to use a hardcoded path, if the database is OUTSIDE of your site directory, try using ../../mydb.mdb instead.

If you get the SQL Server version going you won't have to worry about the path problem. I think I may have given the correct answer to the SQL problem you were having in my previous post.

Good luck!

I am using WWF just fine here with an Access database by setting up the database at the root level as Dave suggested. Just make sure your relative paths are correct.

Root level would be "../database.mdb" for instance.

Note that root level is NOT inside your mydomain.com folder - it is on the same level.

jhoelz said:
Will someone from Jodohost read this and set this up, or do I need to send them a support ticket?

Please submit a ticket. We need to know other account details like the server you are on

Back