Help with nameserver update - Godaddy Help Here

wotech

Perch
I received the email from Jodohost regarding the new ip addresses for nameservers. After looking over everything I'm a little confused what I need to change, if anything.

My service domain is westoxxxxxxxx.com and registered through Go Daddy. In the Go Daddy control panel, the nameservers for that domain are set as ns4.westoxxxxxxxx.com and ns3.westoxxxxxxxx.com (the same nameservers as what all my customers' domains are set to).

I don't see anywhere in the Go Daddy control panel to update nameserver IP addresses, as indicated in the Jodohost email. It talks about child nameservers, but I haven't found anything in the Go Daddy control panel regarding that.

If I login to my reseller cp at jodohost and go under E. Manager > DNS Manager > Edit icon, I see ns4.westoxxxxxxxx.com and ns3.westoxxxxxxxx.com with the new nameserver IP addresses mentioned in the email.

Can anyone clarify what I need to update, if anything?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help with nameserver update

Likewise, I'm wondering if I need to change anything. When I look at my server aliases, they happen to be called dns1.myservicedomain.com but they all have the new IP addresses. So am I all set?

Host Summary on Godaddy. Some shots of it.

5812157572_53b655ef6a.jpg

5811592223_57f89a2e7a_z.jpg

5811592279_20b591ba0a_z.jpg

5812157666_6d6ee82623_z.jpg

Likewise, I'm wondering if I need to change anything. When I look at my server aliases, they happen to be called dns1.myservicedomain.com but they all have the new IP addresses. So am I all set?
NO I say with full meaning of the word.

If you only go by server aliases you will be DOWN. Server aliases are our side of the equation, we are set. This does nothing to make the name server 'glue' or nameserver record to tie IP to name at registrar. It MUST be done at registrar without fail or there will be mega fail when the old IP goes off.

OH! Now I get it. I'm setting the IPs for the hosts I defined for my service domain at my registrar. Got it.

Darn GoDaddy will let me update only one at a time, then I have to wait while they process that request before I can update the next host.

Best way to check if your nameserver update took is on www.intodns.com look at the very first result:
Info Domain NS records Nameserver records returned by the parent servers are:

ns.error%%%.com. ['172.0.%%%'] [TTL=172800]
ns2.error%%%%.com. ['173.%%%.%%%'] [TTL=172800]

j.gtld-servers.net was kind enough to give us that information.

and wow i see i made the stupidest of typos and need to go correct that 172 to a 173!

OH! Now I get it. I'm setting the IPs for the hosts I defined for my service domain at my registrar. Got it.

Darn GoDaddy will let me update only one at a time, then I have to wait while they process that request before I can update the next host.
naaa you only have to wait about 10 sec. I did all mine last night.

I get two errors when looking up my service domain at intodns:

Code:
ERROR: One or more of your nameservers did not respond:
The ones that did not responded are:
###.#.137.4 ###.#.138.4

(which correspond to ns1 and ns2) Is that a problem? My sites all seem to be online.

Code:
ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are: 
dns2.myservicedomain .com
dns4.myservicedomain .com
dns1.myservicedomain .com
dns3.myservicedomain .com

I think this is just because I called my aliases dns# rather than ns# but I don't see similar errors when I check other domains that point to my service domain.

you should only have two nameservers on any domain, you can have many nameservers registered (look at my screenshot) but you only need to use the proper TWO on your service domain.

To get that, go to the domain in hsphere and in summary it will list the nameservers for your domain.

I've edited the topic to include this is about godaddy, I think it may help some others as well.

Hey Stephen,

I am now seeing the following when I do the intoDNS check:

Glue for NS records

INFO: GLUE was not sent when I asked your nameservers for your NS records.This is ok but you should know that in this case an extra A record lookup is required in order to get the IPs of your NS records. The nameservers without glue are:
173.0.xxx.x
173.0.xxx.x
You can fix this for example by adding A records to your nameservers for the zones listed above.

I have verified GoDaddy has everything correct based on your images (thanks) and wondering if the above message is something that will go away after some time or if I need to do something else.

Thanks,
Greg

Hey Stephen,

I am now seeing the following when I do the intoDNS check:

I have verified GoDaddy has everything correct based on your images (thanks) and wondering if the above message is something that will go away after some time or if I need to do something else.

Thanks,
Greg
As long as that is your service domain matching to that IP as set in Hsphere, it should clear up on its own.

Mine said that for about 40 hours(of course remember as posted here I had one IP typoed, so it was actually longer for me than should have been)

I'm getting a few different errors when looking up my domain on intodns. I made the updates at GoDaddy on 6/9 (about 4 days ago):

Glue for NS records
INFO: GLUE was not sent when I asked your nameservers for your NS records.This is ok but you should know that in this case an extra A record lookup is required in order to get the IPs of your NS records. The nameservers without glue are:
173.0.xxx.x
173.0.xxx.x
You can fix this for example by adding A records to your nameservers for the zones listed above.

===================================

Missing nameservers reported by parent
FAIL: The following nameservers are listed at your nameservers as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the parent nameservers (see RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these nameservers are working.If they are not working ok, you may have problems!
ns4.myhs*****.biz
ns3.myhs*****.biz

ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
ns4.west*****tech.com
ns3.west*****tech.com
This is listed as an ERROR because there are some cases where nasty problems can occur (if the TTLs vary from the NS records at the root servers and the NS records point to your own domain, for example).

Could someone shed some light on whether this is OK or not?

Thanks

I'm getting a few different errors when looking up my domain on intodns. I made the updates at GoDaddy on 6/9 (about 4 days ago):

Glue for NS records
173.0.xxx.x
173.0.xxx.x

Missing nameservers reported by parent
FAIL: The following nameservers are listed at your nameservers as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the parent nameservers (see RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these nameservers are working.If they are not working ok, you may have problems!
ns4.myhs*****.biz
ns3.myhs*****.biz

ns4.west*****tech.com
ns3.west*****tech.com
This is listed as an ERROR because there are some cases where nasty problems can occur (if the TTLs vary from the NS records at the root servers and the NS records point to your own domain, for example).

Could someone shed some light on whether this is OK or not?

Thanks

not really ok, it looks like you successfully updated your nameserver IP pointers, but it looks like you also pointed your domain directly to the m****here.biz nameservers. This is not needed, or required, and will make this error as it is a nameserver name mismatch.

On that go in and put your own customized ns3 and ns4 in as your main nameservers and it will work, and remove this error as well.

of note: it will WORK this way, which is fine and dandy, but it won't be optimal and will give errors like this.

I just checked the domain at Go Daddy and it the nameservers for the domain are the same as they've always been: ns4.west*****tech.com and ns3.west*****tech.com. It says right under the Nameservers heading "Last update 1/2/2007" so I know they didn't change when I updated the IPs.

What else would be causing this error?

Thanks.

I just check the dns records via network-tools.com and it's saying ns4.h****.biz and ns3.h****.biz are the NS records. Go Daddy definitely says ns4.west*****tech.com and ns3.west*****tech.com for the Nameservers.

I just checked the domain at Go Daddy and it the nameservers for the domain are the same as they've always been: ns4.west*****tech.com and ns3.west*****tech.com. It says right under the Nameservers heading "Last update 1/2/2007" so I know they didn't change when I updated the IPs.

What else would be causing this error?

Thanks.
ok then that is very odd, it should not say such.

Sorry for thinking you had done that, I had several ask/do that after the announcement :)

This look to me like it could be a very longstanding issue such as you added the domain before submitting the alias, or changed the service domain making the master zone record here to revert to the system base domain.

The service domain I'm currently using is what I signed up initially with Jodohost several years ago.

How can I go about fixing the problem? My obvious concern is when the NS IPs switch over that my clients' sites will go down.

The service domain I'm currently using is what I signed up initially with Jodohost several years ago.

How can I go about fixing the problem? My obvious concern is when the NS IPs switch over that my clients' sites will go down.
no sites won't go down due to that, as both servers answer properly.

I think if you re-check it now you will find that we've already corrected it for you ;)

Back