How can I stop IE from limiting no. of chars in textarea?

I have found that the limit of characters allowed in a textarea is around 1800. When this number of chars is exceeded, the submit button fails to submit the form. Has anyone ever seen this? I have done a search on this issue and have found very little info.

Never heard of...
I have a site for a monthly magazine which udpates online and their texts are about 7500 chars in average and never encountered any problem. Are you sure it is the textarea and not the db? There might be a limitation in the db.

Maybe you're inserting this data into a database and the field that you are entering the data into has a size limit?

KCWebMonkey said:
Maybe you're inserting this data into a database and the field that you are entering the data into has a size limit?

No, it doesn't go into a database. After the text in the textarea exceeds this number, the submit button no longer even submits the page.

zaboss said:
Never heard of...
I have a site for a monthly magazine which udpates online and their texts are about 7500 chars in average and never encountered any problem. Are you sure it is the textarea and not the db? There might be a limitation in the db.

No database is involved.
Do you use Win XP IE to access this app? I think this could be a client-side issue.

windsurfer said:
No database is involved.
Do you use Win XP IE to access this app? I think this could be a client-side issue.
Yes, I am using IE on WinXP. The application is ASP with MS SQL. Maybe it is a limitation of the site, perhaps some jscript involved. Since there is no db involved, I asume that this might be some form to be sent by mail, so a limitation sounds natural to me...

(There isn't mentioned in your original post whether this is something you did or encounterd on another site and whether this is plain html or some programming language.)

If the submit button is actually being disabled I'd assume that it's being caused by some form of client side scripting. Have you tried disabling javascript in IE to see if you still get the same problem?

Can you post the code for: confirmmail_mill.asp and maillist_mill.asp?
Also, there is something wrong in the HTML:
<textarea rows=8 cols=45 name="text" value= class="data_field"></textarea>.

zaboss said:
Can you post the code for: confirmmail_mill.asp and maillist_mill.asp?
Also, there is something wrong in the HTML:
<textarea rows=8 cols=45 name="text" value= class="data_field"></textarea>.
Actually the code goes:
<textarea rows=8 cols=45 name="text" value=<% =text %> class="data_field"></textarea>.[/QUOTE]
This allows the user to regain text when going back to edit post.

I'm wondering... is it possible that the processing script could prevent the button from working?
I would think that it would go to maillist_mill.asp upon submit, then THAT script would fail somehow.
I'm using the aspmail component supplied by jodo as the mail element.
Perhaps that is the problem. I will disable that portion and get back to you with the results.

Thanks to everyone for their concerns! :]

Well...
I disabled the mailing code and the same thing happened.
But, I asked my brother to try it out on his Mac. It works with the long data.
There must be something about IE that is preventing long data from being posted from a textarea.
Damn them anyway! Does anyone have a clue about this issue?
I searched my Internet settings and found nothing that would limit the size of postable data.
By the way. The Mac doesn't seem to be able to run the JavaScript that exists on this page (associated with the form on the left, not the form in question)
Kinda makes one consider becoming a bicycle repairman ;)

bro said:
You're not also putting the tags into the url by any chance, or using GET? In that case the character llimit in IE is 2083, which would account for your apparent 1800 or so limit on the body. Using POST only should not have the limitation.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/208427/

No, I am using POST, and I don't include any tags in the URL. (I'm not even sure what you mean by this... do you mean the URL pointed to by the action attribute in the form tag?)

windsurfer said:
No, I am using POST, and I don't include any tags in the URL. (I'm not even sure what you mean by this... do you mean the URL pointed to by the action attribute in the form tag?)

yes. if you're using POST you should not have anything added onto the action=mailformname.asp part
e.g.action=mailformname.asp?strBody=blahblahblah or whatever.

The limitation is on the length of the URL, so if the string variable that holds your textarea text were included, you might run into the URL limitation.

bro said:
yes. if you're using POST you should not have anything added onto the action=mailformname.asp part
e.g.action=mailformname.asp?strBody=blahblahblah or whatever.

The limitation is on the length of the URL, so if the string variable that holds your textarea text were included, you might run into the URL limitation.

Ah, yes. I see what you mean.
Unfortunately that is not the problem. I'm pretty sure that the issue is with my Browser. I am going to try it on my other computer. It is an XP machine too. But if it works, that points to a configuration (or ???) error on my computer.

windsurfer said:
Ah, yes. I see what you mean.
Unfortunately that is not the problem. I'm pretty sure that the issue is with my Browser. I am going to try it on my other computer. It is an XP machine too. But if it works, that points to a configuration (or ???) error on my computer.

Try it with Firefox, see if it's any different. If it's not then I can't think of any other config setting that could affect it on a particular machine.

Back