How not to get Spamcoped

ErikP

Perch
Hey,

well I have set up a web page as to where people sign up to recieve information about parties.

I was reading over spamcop's site and it says this:

However the initial sign up is accomplished, whether on a web site, by email, or otherwise - the final confirmation phase should use a random code which is emailed to the intended recipient. If that code is not returned by the user, then they should not be added to the mailing list.

heres the link http://www.spamcop.net/reported.shtml

I did not do this, my users just filled out a form and it added them to a Database no confirmation no nothing.

does this mean that My mailing list is crap?

any feedback is apreciated.

thanks

Is your mailing list crap? Yes, in my opinion. You risk not only getting yourself spamlisted, but every Jodohost user who shares the same mail server with you.
my users just filled out a form and it added them to a Database no confirmation no nothing
How can you be sure that you users signed up themselves? Got a grudge against someone? Well, sign then up to as many mailing lists and newsletters as possible, and make their life a misery as they try to sort through all the junk mail they receive. Without a minimum od an opt in confirmation, your mailing list can be abused.

Likewise, if someone had a grudge against you, they could sign up thousands of random email addresses. This would guarrantee you being spamlisted very quickly

ErikP, you are asking for trouble. It really is very simple to set up a confirmation system. If you end up getting Jodo email servers blacklisted you will incur the wrath of Stephen et al.

well that was the idea of the post i can still set up the system.

can you receomend an opt in email system?

thanks

:)

Hey it is nice to have someone asking for advice is it not? Erik, I know you are not a spammer, spammers don't want advice to make sure things are going legit :D

I don't know a system that does this, but I know we have some users that have built them.
have you checked the resource sites like hotscripts.com?

The BIGGEST spamcop issue is their new policy to block mailservers from ANY domain that has ANY auto responder, this is pretty wild policy.

well I could always use the built in mailing list we have here in the control panel.

i think that would be sufficient or no ?

Back