How to combat Junk emails [for each new a/c]

Avataar

Guppy
Hi All,

I've noticed one thing as a reseller. When I create one email account for any client and check it the next day, there will be surely 1-10 junk emails. How do any person come to know about the newly created email id? even not known to the actual user.

I've also noticed one more activity. If you create one user account, create one web site, then delete the website, you will get lots of junk emails on the user's registered email. [I've experienced once, as it was done once till now]

What are this issues, are we bound to get this while signup as reseller?

The first issue is most likely due to dictionary attacks on your domain, but within 12 hours is rather fast..

As for the website, was the domain registered with the same email address? It's possible addresses are farmed from WHOIS information even if the address isn't present on the website itself.

No, none of the websites are registered with the same domain, they are using yahoo id for registeration for domain. So no question of Whois database.

Second Dictionary attacks cannot be so frequent, if so it is a big issue for all users.

I've noticed this for atleast 7 ids on different domains. I still request any person to do a test and answer this query. Any input from the JodoHost support is also appreciated.

SubSpace said:
The first issue is most likely due to dictionary attacks on your domain, but within 12 hours is rather fast..

As for the website, was the domain registered with the same email address? It's possible addresses are farmed from WHOIS information even if the address isn't present on the website itself.

I'll create a few new mailboxes to see what happens, but in general the spam I get is easily explained by harvesting practises on websites and newsservers.

I haven't experienced SPAM in the first 12h of creating a mailbox.

Only issue I have within the 12h timeframe is when registering a new domain, the email in the whois will get some minor SPAM in about 12h, but nothing major.

I appreciate your move and will wait for your reply. Donot put the email id anywhere, just create and then access it once to verify no emails are there.

SubSpace said:
I'll create a few new mailboxes to see what happens, but in general the spam I get is easily explained by harvesting practises on websites and newsservers.

Do you happen to enable catchall? Catchall in my opinion is an evil little gremlin.

Stephen said:
Do you happen to enable catchall? Catchall in my opinion is an evil little gremlin.

Yes, I'd created one account during the time of discussion and with CatchALL. Surprisingly no emails till now. I've just rechecked.

So I think those are some cases that can not be predicted. Let's hope for the best. :]

Back