How to upload large files

snooper

Perch
hi all

i am developing an online learning center, that is managed by uploading MP3 files of lectures. The admin will be uploading one by one, while defining categories, lecturer details etc.

the thing is - upload speed: each file is about 4 MB (at 80 kbps, to try keep sized down), and could go higher - to 10 Mb each. i am currently using an ASP upload component, and i am concerned that the script will not be able to handle the size, or the browser will just time out (or the user will give up).

any comments on better ways to do this?

thanks!~

hey, if you have it working using aspupload, give it a shot, 2-10MB is not too big for aspupload.

Stephen said:
hey, if you have it working using aspupload, give it a shot, 2-10MB is not too big for aspupload.

thanks. it seemed to manage 5MB ok, when i got to a 7MB file, it seemed to choke. maybe i should lengthen the server.timeout ?

yes, I would try that first, of course then when someone is on a slow dial up or cable with 128k upload, it may still time out.

Off the top of my head here are a few options you could try:

You could enable anonymous FTP and drag/drop using the IE FTP Explorer interface. Then have a script that processes the FTP folder on a set interval (or with the click of a button from an Admin section). You obviously need to make sure the MP3's were named accordingly so that you could identify them uniquely and process them into your DB.

OR... you could modify your upload script to allow for the uploading of more than one MP3 at a time, but process them one at a time. Therefor making it easier for you to add multiple MP3's without having to wait for each one to finish. You'd do this by creating a script that would post to itself after the first MP3 was uploaded, allow the second MP3 to be uploaded, then repost to upload the third, and so on. This would not cause the server to timeout as each new repost would refresh the timeout.

OR... you could develop a simple client-side application using VB that would interface with the webserver and perform the upload and DB processing.

I would definitely extend your timeout for as long as possible. Though if you have lengthy DB processing going on (IE. a connection object open during the length of the upload), you may have to lengthen that timeout as well.

Good luck!

/WebDeveloper

WebDeveloper said:
OR... you could develop a simple client-side application using VB that would interface with the webserver and perform the upload and DB processing.

This is basically what i have now - upload and insert. work very well, unless its a major file size. in fact since i started this thread, i see that they have some files at 20-30 MB each, so we're going to have to find a better solution. maybe look into that COM the stephen mentioned (IE's FTP service would probably choke long before it got to 20-30 MB...)

thanks!

We had used the typical file upload script in ASP - which uses a Byte Array - get chunk, etc. - just the fact that you need to explicitly increase the session time manually.

The code worked fine for upto 100 Mb over the web - and in our office network - we'd tried playing around with a 1 Gb - it took it in a ziffy.

The Components are nonetheless awesome - they give u better interfaces and etc ... :)

Ani

to make sure your page doesn't time out add the following code to the top of the page that does the uploading:

server.scripttimeout = 1200 '(1200 seconds = 20 minutes)

I've done uploads with aspupload of over 1 gig in the past, it won't buckle under the size.

Yep ... That's all that's needed ... and the stuff works perfectly fine.

It's the same stuff we used !!! ..

Ani

jonyah said:
to make sure your page doesn't time out add the following code to the top of the page that does the uploading:

server.scripttimeout = 1200 '(1200 seconds = 20 minutes)

I've done uploads with aspupload of over 1 gig in the past, it won't buckle under the size.

Back