I connect to mysql.jodohost.com and see all databases. Normal?

jag5311

Perch
Hi, i am using mysql-front and I am trying to understand it. I created a database through the control panel and a user, then connected via mysql-front. Well, I window popsup showing me all the databases on jodohost, is that normal?

I guess it wants me to find MINE out of all of them. It doesn't open any of them but mine, but I thought it was weird to see everyones.

your thoughts,

Bryan

So let me get this straight.

With an access database, the actual file has to be uploaded to the server.

With mysql, I have to connect to the mysql.jodohost.com server from my machine (mysql-front) and build the database through that? So there is no actual file that has to be uploaded, correct?

jag5311 said:
So let me get this straight.

With an access database, the actual file has to be uploaded to the server.

With mysql, I have to connect to the mysql.jodohost.com server from my machine (mysql-front) and build the database through that? So there is no actual file that has to be uploaded, correct?

Correct. In access when you build the tables you're creating that .mdb file that you upload. In MySQL or MSSQL when you create a table using whatever tool you want to use you actually are sending the SQL command to create (or alter) the table in question to the DBMS which in turn executes the code and saves the changed data structure to the file on thes server.

The nice thing about this method is that you can easilly generate SQL scripts that can be saved as raw text, making the recreation of table structures somewhat automated.

Thanks Hatton

See, originally I had used a tool to take my access database and make an sql file. Then I used mysql-front and tried to import the sql file, but the problem I ran into with jodohost was that the commands in the sql file never said to CREATE TABLE blah, instead it was INSERT. So I had to end up using the datasource setup on my machine that was attached to the access database file and I imported ODBC with that, and in turned, it created everything while I was connected to jodohost.

Now, lets just say I get my side up and running. If I need to make changes, do I simply just connect to mysql.jodohost.com with my program and make a new table, add some fields (all if necessary) and will that interfer with the people accessing the site at the same time. Meaning, if I am altering my database while someone is pulling info from it, could that cause a problem or instability.

1 reason I am switching from my access to mysql is because of the reasoning that access is instable when dealing with 15-20 users at the same time, whereas mysql can handle ALOT.

Also, in terms of permissions. I know when I created my database through the jodohost control panel, I created a username and password. Do I need to worry about any other permissions besides that if I am the only one that will have control over the database?

Thanks alot
bryan

hatton said:
Correct. In access when you build the tables you're creating that .mdb file that you upload. In MySQL or MSSQL when you create a table using whatever tool you want to use you actually are sending the SQL command to create (or alter) the table in question to the DBMS which in turn executes the code and saves the changed data structure to the file on thes server.

The nice thing about this method is that you can easilly generate SQL scripts that can be saved as raw text, making the recreation of table structures somewhat automated.

jag5311 said:
... originally I had used a tool to take my access database and make an sql file. Then I used mysql-front and tried to import the sql file, but the problem I ran into with jodohost was that the commands in the sql file never said to CREATE TABLE blah, instead it was INSERT. So I had to end up using the datasource setup on my machine that was attached to the access database file and I imported ODBC with that, and in turned, it created everything while I was connected to jodohost.

It sounds like your SQL tool was generating the data in the tables rather than the tables themselves. You've already gotten your main problem (the table creation) taken care of, however I will warn against blindly using tools that say they can convert from one kind of database to another. There are typically at least a few oddities that will come up with such a program.

jag5311 said:
Now, lets just say I get my side up and running. If I need to make changes, do I simply just connect to mysql.jodohost.com with my program and make a new table, add some fields (all if necessary) and will that interfer with the people accessing the site at the same time. Meaning, if I am altering my database while someone is pulling info from it, could that cause a problem or instability.
That is one of the beauties of working with a DBMS. You can be using a client to alter table structure or data simultaneously to site visitors. The only thing that you have to be careful of is on the scripting language side of things (CF, ASP, PHP) because you may cause an error if you drop a table that someone is currently accessing.

Basically the server will handle multiple requests at the same time. If you send a command to change the contents of a field just after a PHP page has requested them, the server is going to send the PHP the old contents and then update them. Flip the order of requests and the PHP page would get the updated content.

jag5311 said:
1 reason I am switching from my access to mysql is because of the reasoning that access is instable when dealing with 15-20 users at the same time, whereas mysql can handle ALOT.

Also, in terms of permissions. I know when I created my database through the jodohost control panel, I created a username and password. Do I need to worry about any other permissions besides that if I am the only one that will have control over the database?
Sounds like a very good reason to move up to a real database. Access databases are okay for small amounts of traffic but if you're ever in a situation where you need to have more than about 5 simultaneous connections, it's time to move up to something that is built in a true server-client model.

The Username and password you created for the database user is what you and your web application will use to access the database. If you wanted to provide someone else with a different username and password and restrict what they could do when accessing the database you could simply create another user.

Hope the answers make sense!

Thanks for all the info Hatton, you have really answered alot of the questions I have been searching for.

Thanks
Bryan

Back