If-Modified-Since HTTP header

Well, I'm sorry I got back to you late but I had to check this up.
No one here is sure if we do or not....
We find no reference for how this is setup so I am assuming it is supported

This is more of a client-side thing. It's for cache control... you can easily test it by placing it at the top of a test page and turning off cache control (and don't use Response cache control in ASP either). Set the modified-since conditional to something like 5 minutes ago and have your page change beforehand. It should reload the page if it's been "modified since 5 minutes from then." It's kind of a useless function, though, since standard cach controlling techniques will catch page updates and send a reload command. What exactly do you wish to accomplish with this conditional? Maybe we can think of another solution?
-Dave

WineIsGood said:
What exactly do you wish to accomplish with this conditional? Maybe we can think of another solution?

It is for search engine optimisation and submitting/spidering. The reason I was asking are that the guidelines from Google are:

"Make sure your web server supports the If-Modified-Since HTTP header. This feature allows your web server to tell Google whether your content has changed since we last crawled your site. Supporting this feature saves you bandwidth and overhead."

As I do not know too much about this and have been unable to figure this out by searching on the web, I'm stuck for how to tell/know if the feature is supported.

Thanks all...

JL

Back