IIS Question

jimsau

Perch
On my local testing server I cannot use a directory like mysite.com.

I use dreamweaver so I renamed my directories to mysite.com rather than mysite for ease in uploading to my accounts here but for some reason it will not view a page in a directory with a period in it.

Any ideas?

this works fine on my IIS 5.1 (Windows XP) server.. And it has always worked..

Don't understand this ?(

XP Pro is what I am using and it wouldn't display a page under that dir unless I removed the period from it.

How do you mean wouldn't display? Do you get an error? I would imagine its dreamweaver because I also have directories with periods in running perfectly on Win Xp Pro IIS

No, dreamweaver accepts it fine.

I can use:

http://localhost/mysites/mysitecom/default.asp

but not

http://localhost/mysites/mysite.com/default.asp

I get:

The page cannot be displayed

There is a problem with a program on the page you are trying to reach, and the page cannot be displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Open the localhost home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

HTTP 403.1 Forbidden: Execute Access Forbidden
Internet Information Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Background:
You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.

More information:
Microsoft Support

That looks unrelated to the period. That suggests you haven't given the mysite.com directory the correct permissions.

I thought that at first but all I do is rename the dir to remove the period and it works. Put the period back in and it doesn't work anymore.

I think you have CGI disabled but IIS thinks your requesting a CGI script because it has a *.com file extension. Not sure though.

That might be as it does seem to be trying to find something to execute. But there should be some way to alter this.

It should be in c:\windows\system32 I believe, if it is not on your PC that coudl be part of the problem :)

Stephen said:
It should be in c:\windows\system32 I believe, if it is not on your PC that could be part of the problem :)

It's c:\windows\system32\inetsrv

I have a metabase.bin and metabase.dll but no metabase.xml

This is as bad as when I had norton internet security installed. I could not open the IIS window when it norton internet security was on my system. I could never get a response from symantec either. It may be what corrupted it.

I've had problems with domain directories using .com when they are in the inetpub/wwroot directory. Making a virtual directory in IIS to the actual development drive fixed the problem. XPPro only allows you to serve one website, running additional .com directories off of inetpub/wwwroot/ seems to throw an error.

I'm not sure if that is the problem you're having. I'm also not sure if it should have been a problem for me. I don't have a lot of patience to figure out those types of problems if I can get it to work one way or another.

I have little experience with iis. I will see if I can figure out how to do that. I have always tested all of my sites on my comp. They were all just nested below the main site. I never had an issue till now with IIS except with norton internet security.

Back