Image manipulation

r0ck1t

Perch
Hi,

I am coding a gallery to place images from events in. It is going to be a two-click system, meaning you click the thumbnail for the half-size and then that one for the full-size image. The site is currently in classic ASP, but I am looking at recruiting some .NET people and getting a few books and beginning the conversion soon.

Now what I am wondering, is it better for me to use classic ASP and use one of the components supplied by Jodo to resize the images, or use .NET. I know .NET image manipulation scripts are fairly easy to write, but I am unsure of the features that .NET has available.

I would like to be able to reduce the quality during the resize, so as to make the filesizes quite small.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Luke.

Hi Luke,

ASP.net contains some great built in objects for image manipulation. We have build several web sites that allow users to submit images that asp.net automatically convert to thumbnails which include setting quality and it has been a lot easier and faster with ASP.net. There are plenty of examples out there the Microsoft www.asp.net website is a good place to start.

Good Luck,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Would you suggest then that I create the entire gallery application in .NET? It would save converting later on and also would give me the initial learning experience I need to get started.

In that situation would it also be best to use the .NET upload functions?

Thanks for the advice,
Luke.

@ R0ck1t : I'm intending to begin designing my own photo organizer for my site in the near future (in .NET), with functionalities of albums, photos and a small board where visitors can give their comments...

I'm a computer scientist (still studying though), and at the moment I'm making an analysis of the whole thing (it's a good exercise I think)...

As soon as I start building the project, I'll frequently post some code snippets and impressions on my website, to help other "newbies" in .NET when they 'd like to create a similar thing. It might help :)

www.arsluminis.com

Regards,
Niels

I just posted the first part, the database design. I know this is quite basic, but I've had some requests from more people (who don't know a lot about SQL and stuff) to make an easy-to-understand tutorial. I expect to start coding in tutorial 4 or 5.

Hope i can help you anyway :)

Regards,
Niels

Back