ISP Blocking port 25?

ISP Blocking port 25 workaround...?

Can I access the SMTP server from a port other than 25?

I read the knowledge base article on the issue which suggests to use the ISP's SMTP server but I'd still want the email to be from [email protected] instead of [email protected].

Some Hosts have used 578 (or something like that) as a backup.

Any ideas besides switching ISPs?

Thankfully I don't have this issue (yet) but some of my partners do.

Yash said:
Your email will be from [email protected] even if you use your ISP's mail server. This is called open relay.

*Confused*

I thought that's what closing port 25 (incoming and outgoing) was supposed to prevent?

So I can setup my email client to send email through smtp.myisp.com and it will still be sent from [email protected]? I had been told (by the ISP in question) that I can only use reply-to: for this.

This use SMTP AUTH?

Well, your ISP may be different. I recently dealt with a customer who wasn't able to send email because the SMTP connection would be rejected. I asked him to contact his ISP and they provided him with the SMTP server he is suppose to connect through and send. Emails went out from his domain

My guess is that ISPs want to prevent you from spamming so they force all email to go through their SMTP server where they can run checking routines

This is basically open relay but the difference is that you can only use their open relay server if you are connected via their ISP. Many major ISPs like EarthLink and MSN do this

Yash said:
Well, your ISP may be different. I recently dealt with a customer who wasn't able to send email because the SMTP connection would be rejected. I asked him to contact his ISP and they provided him with the SMTP server he is suppose to connect through and send. Emails went out from his domain

My guess is that ISPs want to prevent you from spamming so they force all email to go through their SMTP server where they can run checking routines

Thanks again Yash.. unfortunately I can't really experiment as my ISP is fine. I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it if my partner decides to switch over.

From what I've read online, and talking to someone who works there, the ISP in question (Bell Sympatico) blocks it completely and only lets you send @sympatico.ca email through their SMTP server. Also saw that some hosts allow SMTP access through port 587 (authenticated mail submit protocol) so you can get around the ISP block by specifying port 587 so I was wondering if you did that here.

Not really important at the moment just curious.

I guess the better question would be.. anyone use Sympatico on here??

Yash is right there. Many ISPs force you to connect through their SMTP server so they can keep a check on mass emailing from their service. And basically yes, it is Open Relay but only subscribers can send email through that server

I don't know if this helps but I have an idea :)

What if you used the webmail interface for sending emails that you want to send out @yourdomain.com. I know this wouldn't be an ideal solution but it is an alternative if you ABSOLUTELY need it.

Re: Re: ISP Blocking port 25?

yorri said:
I don't know if this helps but I have an idea :)

What if you used the webmail interface for sending emails that you want to send out @yourdomain.com. I know this wouldn't be an ideal solution but it is an alternative if you ABSOLUTELY need it.

Yeah that works too but there's nothing like having 5-10 completely separate identities on one client.

Re: ISP Blocking port 25 workaround...?

I use iDataExpress Across-Mail Service to get around port 25 block issue, works very well.

Their website is: http://www.idataexpress.com

I hope it is helpful for you!

Patrick

Xoltaric said:
Can I access the SMTP server from a port other than 25?

I read the knowledge base article on the issue which suggests to use the ISP's SMTP server but I'd still want the email to be from [email protected] instead of [email protected].

Some Hosts have used 578 (or something like that) as a backup.

Any ideas besides switching ISPs?

Thankfully I don't have this issue (yet) but some of my partners do.

My ISP decided to start blocking port 25 outbound as well recently, so I agree an altenative port would be nice.
Normally I don't use JodoHost as SMTP server, but it's nice to have the option.

Blocking port 25 outbound is a questionable decision anyway, even if it blocks a few of the current viruses and trojans, that will soon change. It's not very hard to create a trojan that finds the SMTP server to use to send spam.. For viruses it's a little more useful I guess, as the ISP can force virus scanning for all outbound mail.

Back