Live Streaming

Fervent

Guppy
I have a potential customer who needs live streaming. Support chat says it is possible, but they couldn't give me any other details.

Does anyone know anything about it?

Hi Fervent, I'm not an expert but when you say "live streaming" do you mean "real time" video or just showing pre-recorded video? In the first case I presume you'd be using a webcam and there is lots of software to allow it to stream to the server. In the second case you could simply make a link to the video (wmv file) and it would "stream" into the users computer via their Real Player or Windows Media Player.

thanks, BluJag. I do mean real time. The reason i asked this question is because I researched it in this forum and the answer was no, live streaming is not available (but those posts were dated a couple of years ago). My customer pressed me, so I chatted with live chat and they said yes, it is available.

Thanks again for your answer, I will look into streaming software.

As an experiment I set up a webcam pointing at a clock (with a ticking second hand) then using free software streamed it to a page on my website which I could then watch to see the delay involved. You do need a decent connection to stream it up to the website of course, but there wasn't a huge amount of delay. There's quite a bit of useful stuff you can read on the web, but overall, bandwidth seems to be the major factor in the success of live streaming.

We do NOT offer streaming media servers.
You can do HTTP streams, but without some addon servers/services we don't offer, these are typically time delay or recorded.

BluJag said:
As an experiment I set up a webcam pointing at a clock (with a ticking second hand) then using free software ...

Hey BluJag, could you please give me the name of the free software? I would like to experiment as well.

Thanks.

there are soemn streaming places online like thestreamguys.com

i used them for audio and worked great!

cheers

Sorry Erik - it was on my old laptop which has been given away. I found it by just searching on Google.

Back