Mail on Yahoo, web hosting here

skypanther

Exalted Code Master!
A client wants to move his web site from Yahoo's business hosting to my plan here. But, he wants to keep his mail at Yahoo. He has a [email protected] address, which he accesses through Yahoo's webmail interface.

I've watched the flash tutorial in the knowledgebase section. So, I'm set on the custom DNS configuration part on this end.

Am I correct that he will need a mail-only hosting plan through Yahoo to keep his email account there?

Will I need to make custom DNS entries on his end? I don't think so, as long as they can offer a just-email plan.

Tim

If he is using Yahoo's DNS servers for this domain:
1. Add his domain here.
2. Disable mail service for this domain.
3. Create A records at Yahoo's DNS management panel, which points to the IP address you see in control panel here for this domain.

If he wishes to use DNS servers here for this domain:
1. Add his domain here.
2. Disable mail service.
3. Add MX records that point to Yahoo's mailservers.

These steps are not dependent on type of his plan with Yahoo!.

I've done as Tanmaya said, using the DNS here option. We switched nameservers this morning to point to the DNS servers here. I can send email to the client using my account, which is also hosted here. Others at non-Jodo domains cannot send him mail.

Is this an indication of DNS propagation problems (we're not being incredibly patient waiting only a couple of hours at this point) or have I perhaps configured something wrong?

Here's the MX record I added:

Code:
mail.clientsdomain.com 86400 IN MX 5 pop.mail.yahoo.com

Uh, no. Does it matter which? And would it be in this form:

Code:
mail.clientsdomain.com 86400 IN A 5 pop.mail.yahoo.com

Tim

I just tried adding a custom CNAME record and I get this error:

Code:
The dns record "mail.clientsdomain.com" already exists. You can use a duplicate DNS record name only for MX records.

Does this mean I have to use a different name? Or, do I have to delete the MX record first, create the CNAME, then re-create the MX record?

Tim

I just tried adding a custom CNAME record and I get this error:

Code:
The dns record "mail.clientsdomain.com" already exists. You can use a duplicate DNS record name only for MX records.

Does this mean I have to use a different name? Or, do I have to delete the MX record first, create the CNAME, then re-create the MX record?

Tim
if you got this it means mail.domain.dom may already be pointing to somewhere else, do you have a ticket on this matter?

I just opened a ticket, ZGR-67587-347. Perhaps I need to create records for www rather than leaving the * record in place?

Thanks,
Tim

Back