mail pwd prompts?

Do you mean you are getting these prompts out of actual authentication error or they are popping up randomly?

I have seen this occasionally, too. I have my email password saved in Outlook and it's set to check over 30 minutes or whatever and sometimes I come to the computer to find the username and password box up on the screen, as if the password were wrong. I don't actually have to change anything, I just click OK or cancel and then it usually works fine on the next check.

i've had that before, but it was my isp, not jodohost.

might be an outlook/windows thing. just a thought.

[edit]
before i ever had a jh account
[/edit]

no its definitely not my ISp, cos its only on my JH site emails.

it seems like an authentication thing. often a few of the sites come up all together - each email with its email. i press OK and they go away (till the return). it has calmed down in the last day or so.

I also feel that it is an authentication problem.

I work for a major university and I also see the problem occasionally with them. They (the university central IT folks) integrate their mail servers to authenticate to their central LDAP servers. When the LDAP servers are down users can't authenticate so it seems as though my password is wrong.

I'm not suggesting that JodoHost uses LDAP servers or anything like that. My guess would be that the usernames and passwords are stored locally on the mail server (is that correct) rather than in the PostgreSQL database server that runs H-Sphere (is that right?). But, something seems to get periodically out of whack. It doesn't seem to be a timeout issue, but an "access denied" type of issue.

I don't see it very often, by the way, but I do see it maybe once to four times per week.

Back