mail relay

I'm using a third party solution for DNS control.

I'd like to know if I can:
- set 3 different mx records in this way: mx10 (outside mail server) mx20 (mail server here), mx30 (mail2 server here)

So, would the two servers here (both of them ) queue the messages to the other Newtwork all right?...as soon as it came back online?

Also, what if I change the suggested order above? Would they ALL have to work the same way...or should I really make sure with the other Network...that it would also queue messages to here...

Thanks

The priority 10, 20, 30 just implies the order, the mails would be coming to. The mailserver with a lesser priority would be checked for mail delivery first, by the sending server. If mx10 server goes down, the mx20 server is tried and if even that is down, mx30 server is tried. Offcourse you need to make sure that the network on any one of the servers is up, if on the other two it is down.

Sure. My doubt is whether invariably the MX20...for example...will queue the messages and relay them back to MX10...even if it?s on another Network.

Provided the DNS Servers are configured correctly, is that a invariable behaviour for ANY mail server?

Underdog said:
Provided the DNS Servers are configured correctly, is that a invariable behaviour for ANY mail server?
No, and as far as I know the JodoHost mailserver doesn't do this. Mail will stay on the JodoHost server, so you would have to poll for it periodically.
Under normal circumstances mail would arrive at your highest priority server though, so you don't have to poll very often.
I have no doubt many mailservers could be configured to do what you want, but that isn't how it works using H-Sphere.

Anybody from Jodo would mind dropping a line here?...to clarify mail server's behaviour over configurations of MX priorities...and whether they will queue and deliver it to top priority servers?

If you setup the priority to be higher(ie. lower, like 5, is a "higher" priority), it will deliver to the proper servers first, then here, or however you set it up.

I think he meant that if his 1st Mail server failed ..would Jodohosts mail servers (2nd and 3rd in the MX records) relay all emails to the 1st when it was up again.

I agree with Subspace, I doubt it will. Mail servers have to be setup specifically to relay mails. So ur 3rd MX record would indead relay mails, but to the 2nd (Jodohost's main mail server) as thats how's its set up.

Mail relay is not defined in the DNS records, its defined on the mail server ...so what you want to accomplish will not work.

Maybe I am fully misunderstanding it then......

We have a mail relay here, if you enable it, and the main server is down,it will forward to the main when it is back up. I don't know if that can be setup with a server outside our network or not.

Underdog, you need to disable the mailservice for this domain. This will remove all local entries for the domain (which otherwise deliver it locally instead of sending it back to the primary mailserver).
Then do the required DNS changes in CP for MX 10 (your external) and MX 20 (our mail2).
Once done with this let us know and we will then configure mail2 to accept mails for your domain. We will not do this custom config on our "mail" for some reason.

Back