mailxx outages and sending emails from ASP

antic

Perch
Hi all,

When a mail server is out of action (eg. the recent mail1 outage) does this affect sending emails from ASP (eg. using ASPEmail)? Or does it just affect mailboxes and the general domain mail service, not sending of ASP-based mails?

Many thanks

Further to Antics question above, can one have a TRY CATCH END block, eg

TRY
mail.host=mail1.mydomain.com
CATCH ex1 as exception
TRY
mail.host=mail2.mydomain.com
CATCH ex2 as exception
END
END

and so on. Would the failure of mail1 be detected, allowing the code to try mail2 ?

Doubt it... If you're referring to use of ASPEmail, I think you'd have to attempt a Send before any error would come back. The "Try" would have to be around the Send method.

Sorry Antic - yes of course. I just forgot to add the mail.send within the TRY CATCH block.
PS I'm using Persits ASPEmail

BluJag said:
Unless someone knows the definitive answer, we'll have to wait for another outage!!

Not really.

If you~re willing to work together, I have a spare domain we could use for trial.

I manage dns out of hsphere, so basically, the idea would be to create a "wrong" register for mail1, so it would not respond.

Then, we would see if mail2 would kick in on the form.

Also, I can provide a Mail2 server outside Jodo, for testing...so we can test the failover completely, not only for forms.

Anyway, let me know...
...I could give you an ftp access, and you would just have to make the appropriate changes in the code to reflect the right domain name.

BluJag said:
Unless someone knows the definitive answer, we'll have to wait for another outage!!

not really... you could put a fake mailserver name in the first one, knowing that it will fail.

Well - it works!! I've just changed some of my code to this

'///////////////////Send command//////////////////////////
Try
.Host = "not.aserver.abc"
.Send()
Catch ex_1 As Exception
Try
.Host = "mail.m****here.biz"
.Send()
Catch ex_2 As Exception
Try
.Host = "mail2.m****here.biz"
.Send()
Catch ex_3 As Exception
Try
.Host = "mail3.m****here.biz"
.Send()
Catch ex_4 As Exception
Try
.Host = "mail3.m****here.biz"
.Send()
Catch ex_5 As Exception
Try
.Host = "localhost"
.Send()
Catch ex_6 As Exception
Try
.Host = "127.0.0.1"
.Send()
Catch ex As Exception

End Try
End Try
End Try
End Try
End Try
End Try
End Try

.Reset()

I received the email, and in the header it said

Received: from win8.m****here.biz (HELO user-xa5g8qlht5) (204.10.106.125)
by mail.m****here.biz with SMTP; 6 Sep 2005 15:31:58 -0000

So, looks like the first TRY failed, so it went to the second and succeeded. Great news!

Back