Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition on Windows VPS

I am having trouble achieving remote access to Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition on my Windows VPS. I am not a SQL server expert, so I don’t know if I am expecting too much of an Express edition of SQL server. Can anyone tell me if they are successfully connecting remotely using any brand of Management Software to an instance of SQL Server Express on their Windows VPS.

Thanks in advance

I have in the past using the SQL Server management studio. Dont have a vps with jodo anymore so I cant test if I still can. what error message are you getting?

Hi cdog

Thanks for getting back to me. I am getting the following:-

Can't obtain database list from the server.

I have posted a ticket on this, and I know the guys are trying to locate the problem for me. But it’s been a while now, and I have started to wonder if the situation is unique to me. It would be a massive boost to my confidence if I knew that others have got this working. That would tell me that a solution can be found, and it’s worth persevering with. If SQL Server Express and my VPS don’t get on with each other, I would be disappointed, but I am so happy with my VPS account, it wouldn’t be enough to frighten me away from Jodo.

Cheers

CaptainCandy

Sorry i couldnt be of more help Captain.
I gotta admit I havent copped that error before. Good luck with it

I was just able to logon the Express edition edition on VPS here in australia via management studio. I couldnt generate the same error message you get, is your firewall open for MSSQL over TCP? When its not I couldnt generate the same error just the standard couldnt connect message.

I can’t imagine a firewall problem, as I connect to my full MSSQL Server without any problems at all. I have tried using both MS Sever Management Studio Express, and SQL Manager by EMS. Both work fine with Jodo’s MS SQL Server 2005.

I meant the firewall on the VPS, on my one here MSSQL over TCP was turned off when the VPS was commissioned. However you probably wouldnt get the error you're seeing if the vps firewall was blocking it. It must be frustrating, hopefully jodo will get it sorted for you quickly. Im pretty sure I didnt have to make any configuration changes to connect to the vps mssql when I had the vps with jodo. Sorry I couldnt be of more assistance

Thanks for looking into this for me cdog. I have been trying to get to the bottom of this one for well over a month now. My ticket was opened on the 4th of February, and there has now been 38 interactions on it. I rate Jodo support very highly indeed, and to date they have been awesome. It’s just this SQL Server Express thing that seems to be causing them a problem. The fact that you are able to do on your VPS, what I am attempting, tells me there could be a simple explanation.

Back