Migrating DNN4.0.2 Site from W2K3/SQL2005 to JodoHost

Desi

Guppy
Hello,

I very much like what I see at JodoHost, and am considering moving my DNN 4.0.2 / W2K3 / MSSQL 2005 domain over to JodoHost.

I'm looking from feedback from both JodoHost and it's customers on the following questions:

1. Will the transfer of the MS SQL 2005 database run into issues with "Downgrading" from MS SQL 2005 to MS SQL 2000? Is it even possible to transfer the DNN 4.0.2 table structure? I assume that it is since DNN4.0.2 can run on either SQL2000 or 2005.

2. Currently I have MSSQL 2005 installed at home, and I use the Enterprise Manager to connect remotely, import the DNN DB into a local DB, then back it up locally... How would the backup of the SQL DB work at JodoHost?

3. I see that you have a 7-day trial, but that might not be enough to get everything transferred and tested, since it would take 2-3 days to point the DNS to the new site to even try it out... What are the other options for a trial, or for testing out a domain without moving the DNS pointers?

4. I would like to hear from any current DNN 4.0.2 customers (PM me if you don't want to post your domain here) about the performance and any gotchas that I should expect by moving. I'm just looking for a smooth transition and a good experience, and want to know what to expect. :p

5. There is a DNN Module that can be used to backup the DNN site, but it works best if the SQL Server and the site server are on the same machine. Is this the case with JodoHost, or are they on separate boxes?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Desi Richards

1) I do not think DNN 4.0 is a 2005 specific script. So you should be able to import the data to your MSSQL2000 database with ease, using DTS.. You can ask support to do it

2) The same way you are doing so now

3) We have a 30-day, no questions asked Money-back guarantee. We will refund you if you are unsatisfied in the first 30 days

5) The site and SQL server are on different servers. This does improve performance and database and web. This ensures that if we have an abusive script, it doesn't affect database performance and vice versa

We plan to introduce a SQL 2005 Server soon. HSphere 2.5 has support for SQL 2005 and its currently in its Release Canidate stage

That sounds good. I'll try to get something started today.

I'd really like to see a DNN 4.0.2 sites running under the different hosting levels to get a feel for whether it will be a jump from my current host or not.

Desi

Back