Migration issues SSL

I have a test site up on a 7 day trial for a shared silver account, good progress so far

I would like a detailed description and estimated timeline for setting up my ssl cert prior to taking my site live.

Here is my plan will it work? Do you recommend a different approach so that my customers will not notice a difference in the operation of the shopping cart.

Are there any additional costs.

Activate my shopping cart to use a shared certificate,
I will need an url to point to.

Or can I have my dedicated cert installed on your servers, while still active on my existing host

Redirect my
DNS for www. ultimatewatermassage. com to your servers

After the DNS Resolves fully to your servers
get a dedicated IP and have you install my certificate on your server.

Reset my cart to use the dedicated certificate

I would recommend going with a dedicated IP and dedicated SSL from the start, shared SSL runs under an alias domain and it would require you go get the site here, reconfigure the application, then after you change to the dedicated SSL you would have to change again.

In the overall scheme, it will be much easier to do the "move once" option installing your dedicated ssl cert from the start.

That did not really answer my questions

The simplest route was not my major concern

ultimate said:
Do you recommend a different approach so that my customers will not notice a difference in the operation of the shopping cart.

ultimate said:
can I have my dedicated cert installed on your servers, while still active on my existing host

If so then the simple route seems the best, if not will a more difficult approach provide the seamless transition I am looking for

ultimate said:
Are there any additional costs.
Clarification: in setting up a dedicated ip and cert, I already have a godaddy cert

We don't charge anything extra for SSL as long as you fit under the IP limits on the plan.

In this case the simple method is really the best, the other method will make a major url change that will be highly noticable.

Does your answer mean this is true?

ultimate said:
Or can I have my dedicated cert installed on your servers, while still active on my existing host

If not it seems to me that there will be a period of time while at one site or the other that transactions will not be secure.

IF there is a period during the transfer that transactions will not be secure, what can be done to eliminate if at all possible any period that transaction will not be secrue, or if it is not possible to eliminate the period of time the transactions may not be secure while the name spreads across the dns sphere or the cert is transfered, what can be done to minimize that time period regardless of other considerations, ie url name, ease of implementation etc........

Hello, if you can use the same cert on two IPs for a short time depends on your SSL provider, I would recommend asking them.

Back