Most of my Jodo Sites are Being Hacked

zero

Perch
I have quite a few sites hosted at Jodo and recently, most of the WordPress-based sites have been hacked by a couple of different hacking groups.

Each WP site had the WP Security Scanner plugin installed and running, ensuring proper folder permissions.

This has never been an issue in the past, but has become a very big deal now. The sites are very low profile. Are they being targeted solely due to being on the same IP as other sites?

Is anyone else seeing a huge increase in hacking since the move?

-brit

It is always noticed that such hack only possible due to insecure permission set on files/folders.
It is advisable that minimal folders are kept with 'write' bit of others and are not used for direct web access.Also, a .htaccess file that deny all web access with permission set of 444 should be placed in such folders, so if any file is placed there, they can't be executed.

I had a serious issue with hacking a few months back. Many sites on WP and Symphony were infected with numeric php files that were supposed to be hit when the visitor got a 404. Massive pain to clean up, most of it was due to permissions being too loose, and with WP this is a real pain because you need to open/close the permissions each time you upload a photo - if you want to be safe about it.

Back