Moving a Domain

lissi

Guppy
I have a website that is hosted with JodoHost on Windows (and currently running a ColdFusion shopping cart). I am going to switch to X-cart and would like to move this site to Linux.

I have already taken the steps to create a new plan for the Linux account and I created a new user name for it. Now I need some help as to how to make the move without any downtime.

I need to install X-cart on the Linux server and get it set up, but since I can't use the correct domain name (since it is in use on the windows server), what should I do? Do I need to register a domain name to use as the set-up domain?

And once everything is ready, how to I get the correct domain name on the Linux server? Do I need to delete it from the Windows server first?

Thanks in advance for any help wit this!

it's a real bugger to do!

The last time I needed to move a domain from one Jodo server to another (Coldfusion to non-coldfusion Windows), I had to actually set up a duplicate site elsewhere then transfer the DNS there, delete the old account, then create the new account at Jodo with the old name.

I have also done it the poor man's way. I told the client their site would be down about a day, built the new site using a stopgap domain, then when all was ready, deleted the old account and added the domain to the stopgap. For some areas I monitored, the site was only unavailable for < 30minutes. For most others, it was about 8 hours. A few (specifically blackberry users) had trouble for about 18 hours.

You would think that there would be a mechanism to allow for having the same domainname going to differnet servers, depending on availability (I mean, why do we have multiple domainservers anyway?).

I hope this gives you some ideas...
Tim

Back