MS SQL and Users login/access

Hi everyone.

OK, I write because I need some explanations or more precision about MS SQL and login user.

I created two login account. One admin, other one simple user.
I created one database.

When I create a new database, I associate it with the admin login.
I grant only read acces to the simple user login.

But I can't connect to the database with the simple user login.
after some exchange with the helpdesk, it seems that I can only use the admin login.

The fact is, I'm pretty sure the concept worked on my old account, using two different login to access my database.

So here some questions.

In the control panel, what is the utility of the option "database users" ?

Are there really no way to connect to a database with 2 different login (so I really forgot how my old web site worked) ? --> I just verified with the management console, I can access to the database. So was it a bug ?

Thanks for your answers.

Hmm, one of my websites at JodoHost has a separate login for admin and website and that works just fine. What's the error you're getting when you try to connect?

Hi Sub.

Using the Management Console, I can connect to the server with my user login, but I can't access my database.

On my web site, when I use the admin login, everything work fine, but with my user login I got an exception :

Code:
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.
When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused
by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow
remote connections.
(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Hi Sub.

Using the Management Console, I can connect to the server with my user login, but I can't access my database.

On my web site, when I use the admin login, everything work fine, but with my user login I got an exception :

Code:
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.
When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused
by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow
remote connections.
(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

this error normally happens due to an error in the connection string, like using localhost for the server

Back