MS SQL backup

SubSpace

Bass
Even though the MS SQL database was not affected by the Win5 malaise, I'm left with an uneasy feeling. To this date I've been unable to make personal backups of my SQL Server databases at JodoHost, and the Win5 thing once again showed the value of such..

The SQL Admin web application hasn't worked for over 4 months now as far as I can tell. I had requested dbo access to my database so I can use the SQL Server features for backup/restore, only to realise I have no access to the filesystem of this server to download the backups created, so that does me no good in this aspect either.

Even if your backup system for the MS SQL server (1) is working perfectly, I'd feel safer being able to keep my own backups. How can I accomplish this?

You can open a ticket requesting a copy of your database to be put in your root directory every now and then

A few of our customers do this

We take special care of the database servers. we always have a remote backup of them.

I think that the SQL Web Admin interface MUST be online too. In this way, our customers can do their own backup without having to open a ticket. I frankly believe that installing it should not be a so big problem (4 months and counting)

Bad things (like Win5 outage) can happen at any time. In order to minimize the effects I believe that these small problems (like Web SQL Admin not working) should be solved asap, so that when the big ones happen there will be less concerns

I hope you can take into account this suggestion

I just want to see this software as it hasn't worked since I first found out about it....If I can do backups easier with this tool, then I too would love to see this :)

I need to move my MS SQL databse (for DotNetNuke) from one server to another (both servers are JH servers). Will this tool allow me to easily do this? I have EM so maybe I'll just try that first. I know enough about MS SQL to be dangerous. :)

Just use the Microsoft SQL Enterprise Manager.

Open the source sql server, find your database, right-click the name, select Export, and then the wizard will appear. You can then export/copy the data to another SQL server, text file, an Access database, or other supported destination.

I don't have another SQL2000 database server, and Access isn't an option because it would mess up some of the data.

We can import a MS SQL database for you from your old host as well

We are setting up a new HSphere backup system that would allow customers to access both their database and web file backups..

Yash said:
We can import a MS SQL database for you from your old host as well
We are setting up a new HSphere backup system that would allow customers to access both their database and web file backups..

Sounds great :)

Yash How would I go about migrating over a ms sql DB from another host to your system... Please tell me the steps...

What most customers do is import their database via DTS to their local sql server and then export their database via DTS to our ms sql server

But you can ask us to do a direct import for you from your old host. Open a ticket

I don't have a local MS SQL Server, but I would like to have local backups on a daily basis. The former online service you provided allowed me to do so, and I don't see why you can't re-instate it especially since you downgraded to win 2000.

It would be too cumbersome to open every day a ticket, if anything you could otherwise provide an automatic backup service where a user can download daily the latest backup to their local computer. It's important that those backups can be restored by the user themselves to the online database.

eko said:
I don't have a local MS SQL Server, but I would like to have local backups on a daily basis. The former online service you provided allowed me to do so, and I don't see why you can't re-instate it especially since you downgraded to win 2000.
A couple of things to comment on here - You can purchase a copy of SQL Server 2000 Developer's Edition for $49.95. It is an invaluable tool to have if you're doing any sizable amout of SQL Server Development.

If this is a short term project you can download the trial edition of SQL Server from MS's site - it's a 120 day trial and you will get the developer tools (SQL Analyzer and Enterprise Manager) for use even after the trial expires.

Using Enterprise Manager you can connect to JodoHost's database and run a DTS "backup", which would copy all of the data to a local copy of the database on your machine.

That's what I do anyway ;)

To make a local copy to a local database you need to have the local database, which expires after the trial period.

eko said:
To make a local copy to a local database you need to have the local database, which expires after the trial period.
That's only true to a point. Once you have a "local copy" you can go into the data directory (IIRC it's c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Data\ for SQL 2000) and you will see a .MDB file there. That is the actual database file to work with.

Alternately you can run a local backup and save the .BAK file for later use. Either that or you can use a DTS package to export the data to a MS Access or other database flavor. That can actually be done using only Enterprise Manager, you don't *need* a local copy of SQL Server running to connect to the JodoHost server and DTS the data out to an Access db.

Regardless, that's the reason I suggested going with the Developer Edition of SQL Server 2000. Something I also just found, though I have not looked into it, is MSDE.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/howtobuy/default.asp

Here's the quote from the website:
"Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) is a free, redistributable version of SQL Server 2000 that can now be downloaded from the SQL Server website. The MSDE 2000 download provides users with the right to install and use MSDE with your applications or development projects. You must register for the right to redistribute MSDE with your applications."

I know that they recommend MSDE for .NET application development, I'm pretty sure it can work for this instance as well. Give it a whirl!

hatton said:
Regardless, that's the reason I suggested going with the Developer Edition of SQL Server 2000. Something I also just found, though I have not looked into it, is MSDE.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/msde/howtobuy/default.asp
Just a quick update to this - MSDE does NOT include Enterprise Manager, though the Trial version of SQL Server does. EM and Query Analyzer stay active even after the trial expires. This provides you with two options:

1. Download MSDE *and* the demo version of SQL Server, install MSDE and then install just the client tools from SQL Server.

2. Download the trial version now and install everything, then when the trial expires in 120 days go back and download MSDE and install it. You'd have to port the databases over for MSDE in this case.

Either way, there *is* a free solution for developers that want to run SQL Server.

Yash said:

This was posted a while ago, so i assume it's set up. how can i access this feature?

Back