MS SQL database - unable to see remotely

Hi All,

I'm having problems viewing my MS SQL database remotely.

I'm new to reselling and here's what I've done so far :

- Created a service plan (I simply followed Jodo's step-by-step reseller guide). Let's say my service/reseller domain is www.mydomain.com

- I signed-up a new user 'admin1'. I logged into my control panel for this user and setup a new MS SQL login (e.g. admin1_user) and MS SQL database (e.g. admin1_db), which then gave me the hostname (i.e. mssql2.mydomain.com) and IP address for this database server. So far so good.

- I started up SQL Server 2005 Express Management Studio (what a mouthful) and was able to successfully register the SQL Sevrer using my hostname (i.e. mssql2.mydomain.com), username and password.

However, when I expand the databases section in my object explorer window, I only see the usual master and tempdb databases. Where is admin_db? Interestingly, I can see the database user (i.e. admin1_user).

Get this ---> If I use the online ASP Enteprise manager application (i.e. MSSQL Manager) via my control panel, my database appears (as you'd expect it too).....my point is, it definately exists.....I just can't see the database remotely.

Frustrating....

Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Please help.

Regards
George G.

This is by design, you will have to use EMS SQL Manager 2008 Lite with no modification needed, or submit a ticket requesting sql view login for the DB, you will need to list the DB name, login name, and server, it will be verified and then we can do a workaround for allowing you to view.

Thanks for the reply Stephen.

A couple of questions :

1. How does EMS SQL Manager 2008 Lite allow me to get around this issue and SQL Server 2005 Express (or even SQL Server 2005 Standard) won't?

I admit I'm not familiar with EMS 2008 Lite, but if it seems just like another SQL Management tool.

2. I'm a Jodohost reseller - so everytime I have a new customer sign up under of my plans and they need remote db access, I'll need to contact you guys?

Cheers
George

Thanks for the reply Stephen.

A couple of questions :

1. How does EMS SQL Manager 2008 Lite allow me to get around this issue and SQL Server 2005 Express (or even SQL Server 2005 Standard) won't?

I admit I'm not familiar with EMS 2008 Lite, but if it seems just like another SQL Management tool.

2. I'm a Jodohost reseller - so everytime I have a new customer sign up under of my plans and they need remote db access, I'll need to contact you guys?

Cheers
George

1. EMS version allows you to specify the DB you wish to access and works.

2. Web based installers have no need of this, many people have no need of it, some hosts don't even allow external SQL access, so no, not all will need.
In addition you can still use even SQL 2005 unable to see the DB you can still issue queries using the window just put in there use db_name and go.

Hi Stephen,

Regarding Question 2 - I'm curious as to how the majority of people create their databases on the web (well, with JodoHost anyway)?

Call me an old school DB developer, but I always thought you scipted your database schema and then ran that script in a query window against the web host's SQL Server (hence why you need Enterpise Manager or Management Studio or EMS 2008 Lite, etc)...and presto, your entire database created in seconds...this seems like the most efficient and expedient manner.

If you have other suggestions on setting up databases just as quickly, then please share - that way I can suggest them to my clients. I really don't care how they end up doing it....as long as they have that flexibility to do it themselves.

EMS 2008 lite looks like it'll do the trick....cheers

Regards
George

You can still script it and use the query window even not seeing the DB, just open the SQL Management Studio query window, and then put at the beginning, use Database_name and it will work :)

Now,most people as I said do setup their DB online using a web installer like DotNetNuke, or others like this, they have a wizard that issues the scheme and SQL script updates.

However you can use SQL Managmeent studio with the ticket, the other client will work without for that where it suits.

Another work around if you wish to use SQL Server Management Studio 2005.

login
open new query
select the db from the drop down
issue queries
from this point you can also select Query Designer to easily select tables to build queries.

btw, i was on another provider that allowed all created accounts view all db names on the server by default. ...very messy and possibly a security/privacy issue.

Back