MS SQL Enterprise Manager.

I cannot connect to any of my dbs using enterprise manager. I've tried all standard ports. I also tried via IP and iv'e searched the forum and found a few posts none of which fix my problem. I've tried to telnet to the standard mssql port 1433 and was not able to make a connection to the machine do you guys use a diff port for mssql ent manager?

I use EM with the standard settings.

Hope these don't sound like daft suggestions,

In the SQL Client Network Utility, is TCP/IP enabled as an allowed protocol?

Do you have a firewall stopping certain ports/applications at your end?

Cheers.

--update

I a able to connect to other servers using em and telnet so it's not a firewall or network connectivity problem.
TCP port connectivity have been enabled and NAMEDPIPES has been removed for troubleshooting this problem.
---I'm currently moving from one host to here.

I had similar probs to you when connecting from a hotel. Are you using a proxy server of something ? I strongly suspect it's a firewall issue.

Currently I'm at work on a straight dsl line to the internet with no firewall and cannot make a connection. I used tsweb to my pc at home wich is on a cable modem and cannot connect from there either. my home pc is behind an ipcop firewall which has never caused me this kind of trouble. As i said above i am currently setup on another hosts server which also resides in florida and I can still connect to them without any problems.

If it's any consolation I'm back in the hotel again and cannot connect via Sql Analyzer or SQL Enterprise Manager - yet have no problems at home. This is most perplexing - it can't be anything to do with my laptop so must be something to do with this hotels (in Hong Kong) network. Every other hotel I stay in is fine. What happens if you connect via a dial-up connection? Or another computer ? If I can figure out whats happening I'll let you know.

....later....
I've been thinking (difficult for me!!) and not long ago I had a really odd snag where I couldn't FTP large files to the server at Jodo - it would only transmit a certain number of bytes then quit. I was baffled, as were the support team at Jodo. Anyway, I re-set my ADSL modem and router and then everything was fine again. Why on earth this should have caused a problem I don't know. Have a go at resetting your entire net connection and see what happens.

Back