MS SQL (rant)

brawney

Perch
While Microsoft SQL Server may be a robust, powerful SQL database server it sure is hard to work with! :evil: I spent over an hour just trying to move my Mad Dog Portal (v2.5) setup from win5 to win1 on the new cluster. I am lucky there are only a few tables and stored procedures in this app. Even then, I had to try many different methods before finding one that would work.

I don't know a lot about MySQL but I somehow can't help but feel that it would have been much easier in MySQL. ;)

Although, if there were a way to do a backup and restore it would have made life easier. But JodoHost doesn't provide that capability for the end user. So I had to try scripting and exports and all sorts of stuff. I did finally get it done, but I know a little about MSSQL and pitty the poor guy who knows nothing abot SQL trying to do that sort of job.

I know MSSQL database maintenance has been the topic of many other threads, but if anyone has any recommendations on how to backup and manage the MSSQL server on JodoHost please let us know.

FYI, I found this free ASP application that seems to work very well. http://www.1clickdb.com/ I did not use it yesterday for my database move so I don't think it will help much in that area. I just played with it a little and it seems like a really powerful tool. It works with all sorts of databases. Maybe JodoHost would consider buying the real version and making it available to the users?

You could have asked us. We'd do a direct import from you (takes 10 seconds)

And you could have use sqladmin.jodohost.com to download your database and then upload it

Yash said:
You could have asked us. We'd do a direct import from you (takes 10 seconds)

And you could have use sqladmin.jodohost.com to download your database and then upload it

Thanks Yash. I know you guys would have moved it for me and I appreciate that. I wanted to do it myself for the learning experience. So I'm definately not complaining about JodoHost service here, I'm ranting about how MSSQL is a bit more difficult to deal with than MySQL and Access databases.

I will be doing more of this and wanted to learn how to do it. That's why I didn't ask you guys to do it for me. I did some house cleaning in the DB at the same time too.

I'll look at the online MSSQL tool you mentioned. I tried using that a couple weeks ago and it locked up on me. Didn't work. So I use Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer to do my data work now.

I tried a couple times to use that MSSQL web tool to export my database and I get this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

This is a general MS .Net error message telling you that an error has occured but your configuration parameters prevent it from revealing the details of the error.
-Dave

brawney said:
I tried a couple times to use that MSSQL web tool to export my database and I get this error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Runtime Error
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

If you have any online SQL Server management tool you recommend that we buy for our customers, I'd love to hear

Brawney try as Yash suggested sqladmin.jodohost.com, it's very easy to use and works with ASP Invision Portal

Back