MsSQL 101

bro

Perch
One of my users is asking to start using MsSQL. So I need a quick rundown on how it works, as it appears to be entirely different to how Access databases are used, which is all I work with... not so I can do it myself, but just so I have a feel for what's going on.

So...
How do they upload their database to begin with, and where to? How do they make backups?

Anyone?

Check out the hshpere MSSQL tutorial first for specific information on how to define and manage database properties through your control panel.

Once created through the control panel, MSSQL databases are commonly designed and accessed via MSSQL enterprise manager, a component of SQL Server Developer edition, available for around $30.00.

With this product, you can do anything you need, including importing and exporting data, designing databaes on the server, scheduling regular backups of your MSSQL DB to your local machine (an essential task), and much, much more.

They could design/edit through the MSSQL manager available in the control panel, but it's a pale comparison to enterprise manager.

hafa said:
Check out the hshpere MSSQL tutorial first for specific information on how to define and manage database properties through your control panel.

okay, thanks. This tells me how to create a blank database and how to create logins to it.

hafa said:
Once created through the control panel, MSSQL databases are commonly designed and accessed via MSSQL enterprise manager, a component of SQL Server Developer edition, available for around $30.00.

So, unlike what appears to be available in Hsphere, this will allow them to upload a current database and save backups at any time they choose?
I'm a little disturbed that the site says "Developer Edition is designed to enable developers to build any type of application on top of SQL server 2005. It includes all the functionality of Enterprise Edition (win32, x64, IA64) but with a special development and test license agreement that prohibits production deployment."
1) we have SQL server 2000
2) it's not licensed for 'production deployment'??
3) How would I install this application? Just through FTP?

hafa said:
With this product, you can do anything you need, including importing and exporting data, designing databases on the server, scheduling regular backups of your MSSQL DB to your local machine (an essential task), and much, much more.

But without it you can do none of this?

hafa said:
They could design/edit through the MSSQL manager available in the control panel, but it's a pale comparison to enterprise manager.

So without using extra tools such as SQL Developer Edition, I don't see how it's even possible to provide backups and imports of existing data on JH servers using MSSQL. Am I wrong? (They have an existing database of 20Mb or so).

Your help is much appreciated, btw. Apologies for the total ignorance on this subject.... bear with me a little while longer
:)

bro said:
So, unlike what appears to be available in Hsphere, this will allow them to upload a current database and save backups at any time they choose?
I'm a little disturbed that the site says "Developer Edition is designed to enable developers to build any type of application on top of SQL server 2005. It includes all the functionality of Enterprise Edition (win32, x64, IA64) but with a special development and test license agreement that prohibits production deployment."
1) we have SQL server 2000
2) it's not licensed for 'production deployment'??
3) How would I install this application? Just through FTP?

But without it you can do none of this?

Your customer must install the software on their own machine. The application then communicates with Jodo?s server and allows them to manipulate databases which they?ve previously defined in the HSphere control panel.

bro said:
So without using extra tools such as SQL Developer Edition, I don't see how it's even possible to provide backups and imports of existing data on JH servers using MSSQL. Am I wrong? (They have an existing database of 20Mb or so).

They?ll need MSSQL enterprise manager to run data transformation services (DTS) which will allow them to backup the database from Jodo?s server to their machine at their office. DTS will also allow them to export data from existing DBs such as access or even flat files. They?ll need to understand basic DB fundamentals and have experience with /learn the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) to setup the db in MSSQL, define unique keys, constraints, etc.

bro said:
Your help is much appreciated, btw. Apologies for the total ignorance on this subject.... bear with me a little while longer
:)

No worries, man?

Wheemer said:
I don't think you'll be able to save local backups of your database on Jodos server.

The proper procedure would be for the client to backup the DB to their own machine. JH maintains backups, but it's good policy to maintain your own at your own location as well. I personally keep no fewer than 3 copies updated daily of some 20 Databases.

hafa said:
I personally keep no fewer than 3 copies updated daily of some 20 Databases.

You are one smart client :)

It is good to have backups on your local machine, but we can provide you database backup file (.BAK) on request, as we have daily backups set on SQL servers.

Wheemer said:
How do you make a local backup?

Using enterprise manager, create a blank database on your local machine. Open your JH DB, right click on the JH DB, go to all tasks>export data and follow the wizard, setting the tables, queries and transformations necessary to replicate the data to your local machine. You'll need to take keys and contraints into account if you've defined them in your local DB.

At the end of the wizard, you'll have the option to run the export immediately and/or schedule it for later. If you choose the later, save it to your local SQL server instance. MSSQL will save the export/query as a DTS package which can be edited later should you wish.

Good explanation.

I was just think that you were refering to an actual "backup" as performed in Enterprise Manager.

You can get a backup like the native in EM from jodo, just by asking.

Wheemer said:
Good explanation.

I was just think that you were refering to an actual "backup" as performed in Enterprise Manager.

You can get a backup like the native in EM from jodo, just by asking.

Of course I could ask them for a backup, but they would probably tire rapidly if I were to ask them for 20 every day:D

You are correct about 20 a day, but we do provide a number of customers backups a few times a week on request.

Stephen said:
You are correct about 20 a day, but we do provide a number of customers backups a few times a week on request.

Fair enough, but is it possible to have this automated from your end, so that the client doesn't have to keep asking for it? It must waste your time and theirs to some extent if it all has to be done manually on both ends.

Seems to me (going by what I've learned so far) that if you could set this up so that clients could arrange their own backup schedule, and automatically receive it by email, that it would be something many people might be willing to pay a little extra for.

I would love to have something like that in place, but it has not been possible up to now.

bro said:
Fair enough, but is it possible to have this automated from your end, so that the client doesn't have to keep asking for it? It must waste your time and theirs to some extent if it all has to be done manually on both ends.

Seems to me (going by what I've learned so far) that if you could set this up so that clients could arrange their own backup schedule, and automatically receive it by email, that it would be something many people might be willing to pay a little extra for.

To tell the truth, the EM/DTS method is quite excellent. Remember that the important thing is the data. The advantage here is that you have control over the frequency and selection of data for replication.

You can access it directly from browser. It will ask for FTP username and password and will take you to MSSQL login screen. Here you need to fill in your SQL servername, username & password.

When I go there, it asks for my network login details first if I'm not already in control panel, before it goes to the MSSQL login screen to enter the mssql login.
When I tried this earlier, it didn't respond, but it works now (though sometimes its slow).

thanks

bro said:
When I go there, it asks for my network login details first if I'm not already in control panel, before it goes to the MSSQL login screen to enter the mssql login.
Yes, because control panel posts this info for you.

Back