MSSQL Backup/Restore

I do quite a bit of testing with one of my databases, so the ability to backup/restore freqeuntly is definatly a must. I do not want to have to wait for support to restore a database...and do it 30 times a day. It appears I am able to backup the database on my own....but only on the server. I can not download it. Then, it appears that I can not RESTORE at all. I can see the backups there, but apparently I do not have permission to restore even though I have dbo permissions. So, what it is the best solution? Ideas? Suggestions? I am trying to make it easiest on everyone.

Thanks!

If you really need to do that many restores, send me a PM with your login ID and DB Name, and the SQL server it is located on, I will see fi I can give you restore permissions for your DB.

Stephen :

I have a similar question, but just one way.
I am used to have a fresh copy of my production database on my development machine.
How can I have a scheduled backup for my database ? and where can I get the backup file to download it to my disk ?

Stephen said:
If you really need to do that many restores, send me a PM with your login ID and DB Name, and the SQL server it is located on, I will see fi I can give you restore permissions for your DB.

We can't do that at this time, I am working on a long term plan for something like that, outside of hsphere.

Oh, wait a minute, do you mean all my data is kidnapped in your servers?
:)

Stephen said:
We can't do that at this time, I am working on a long term plan for something like that, outside of hsphere.

I sent a PM and have not heard anything back yet. I am stuck right now, waiting for the permissions so I can restore the database. As someone else noted, the ability to download the dabase for a test database is a great idea, would solve my need to restoring all the time, but we can not download it either. This MSSQL thing is getting kind of frustrating.

Stephen said:

You can accomplish this using the Enterprise Manager.

I have a couple of databases that are automatically downloaded to my development sql server box.

You can create a scheduled task on your local sql server that will at a specific time or interval connect to the production server and flash the data on the local database. This way, you do not need to restore databases and as long as your local machine (or local databaser server) is turned on at that scheduled time, your data will be flashed. I find it handy. Give it a shot.

There are several approaches to do that, btw.
So, what exactly did you use ? just "import data" ?

maverick1911 said:
You can accomplish this using the Enterprise Manager.

I have a couple of databases that are automatically downloaded to my development sql server box.

You can create a scheduled task on your local sql server that will at a specific time or interval connect to the production server and flash the data on the local database. This way, you do not need to restore databases and as long as your local machine (or local databaser server) is turned on at that scheduled time, your data will be flashed. I find it handy. Give it a shot.

msteinblock said:
I am stuck right now, waiting for the permissions so I can restore the database.

To do one time restore you could open a ticket after you upload your restore file and inform them where your data is.
They did that for me.

You could not DTS transfer with EM to your local sql server the database ,make changes etc you want and then DTS back to Jodo?

manos

I have been doing that....but a previos post told me to send the info and they would give me permission to do it myself.

fischermx said:
To do one time restore you could open a ticket after you upload your restore file and inform them where your data is.
They did that for me.

Since I have not heard about setting up permissions, I went ahead and submitted a support ticket to restore. Well, after waiting a couple hours for the ticket to be done, I found out the restore was from a different day than I needed....so now I have to wait a few more hours until the correct date is restored. Nothing against the support techs, as I do not consider this to be one of their jobs. I just wish we could do the most basic thing from Enterprise Manager....Backup and Restore.

Hello,

I did not get complete info like the dbname, username, and other info in the private message, and I was not ignoring you, I am in the middle of a move from Texas to Florida, and just got in from driving a rental truck down here.

Also, I don't yet have internet or phone services in my home, so I am not able to get online at hours like this for a few days, I was just here checking in.

I'm confused. Is there, or isn't there a way to backup your own databases to your local machine, or at least to your site folder.......I just moved here from reseller center, and have lost all my databases, I think, because I could find no way to get them downloaded to my local machine.........z

zardiw said:
I'm confused. Is there, or isn't there a way to backup your own databases to your local machine, or at least to your site folder.......I just moved here from reseller center, and have lost all my databases, I think, because I could find no way to get them downloaded to my local machine.........z

First off, how'd I get demoted to a guppy from a SWORDFISH?...lol

Ok the database I was referring to was a phpBB database. Now apparently because of security issues, phpBB has been upgraded and new fields added to some tables to address these issues.

I was able to 'export' my database from my old host, and you all restored it into the new phpBB database I created here.

HOWEVER, since the database was from an old version, it will not run on the new version, cause fields are missing/not defined in that old table.

So basically I will need to recreate that bulletin board, as I see it.......anybody got any comments on this?......
Popcorn.gif
.....Thx, z

Back