MSSQL2 down?

mssql2 is definately not down. Other websites having their DBs on mssql2 are running fine. As for your problem, we are looking into it right away.

Hmmm, Enterprise Manager couldn't connect to mssql2 at all. Even if it could, it would tell me the service state of the sql server, but it couldn't. That tells me that either mssql2 was down or it was disconnected from the internet somehow... and, if my site couldn't connect to it, I'm wondering how anyone else's could have? Could you explain what happend to it, and how other sites could use it but I couldn't? Thanks,
-Dave

Maybe something with your firewall ? I was able to connect to MSSQL2 both through code and Enterprise Manager

This was during the day, yesterday. There was nothing strange about the firewall and I could always connect to it before. My application runs on their server, so it should always be able to connect. Once they rebooted it, I was again able to connect through Enterprise Manager, and my software worked. I'm just confused by their explaination that the server wasn't down and others could get to their databases. It just doesn't make sense?
-Dave

I haven't tried to connect with Enterprise Manager earlier today or yesterday, but what I'm sure that my site (which connects to MSSQL2) was/is working... Dunno, I can't help much with this issue I guess :)

Originally posted by WineIsGood
Could you explain what happend to it, and how other sites could use it but I couldn't? Thanks,
-Dave

to be frank, i have no idea what happened. Definately strange. whatever it was, it was a specific issue with your database. We rebooted and the problem was fixed. mssql2/win2 in no way is over loaded. Hardly has any websites on it and has 2 PIII processors (1ghz each). what im guessing is that somehow your specific database crashed or got hung up.

We are introducing mssql3 tonite which would be exclusively for ms sql. (mssql2 is a multi-purpose server). if the problem repeats itself, you can delete your database (saving a copy of all data) and then recreate it. that would get you onto mssql3 and then you could reupload your data.

Thanks for the frank reply (better than making up an excuse!). What is strange is that Enterprise Manager couldn't even connect to the server mssql2. If it could at least connect, but then fail at a database level, it would have told me that the server is running, but it received a database connection error... anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled just in case. By the way, I am using a standard DSN-less connection. I posted the way I do this in another forum here, possible the programming forum. You're welcome to check it out and let me know if you think it's a bad way to connect. I can use a DSN but I could never get it to work, so I just the direct approach (which is actually a bit more efficient).
Thanks again
-Dave

if mssql2 was down, we would have been notified as there are servers are pinged every 5min, 24x7. I really don't know what happened in your case.

I dont think the database problem had something to do with the way you connect.

Back