MSSQL4 fully restored

Stephen

US Operations
Staff member
MSSQL4 has had a major OS corruption issue and we are having to restore. This is a Windows 2000 server and we will be installing Windows 2003 in this process. This thread I will keep updated thoughout the entire process.

Re: MSSQL4 restore process

We have a estimate of 12 hours restore time on this, I am working on the new server still right now.

The new server is having an issue and I am going to get the other spare server from the office. I will be working on it shortly.

The new server itself is up, and I am working on gettting MSSQL restored and doing windows updates.

Overall things are moving along, right now we are building up the raid before adding the extra data and building.

We are going to wait for the raid build to complete before moving any data, as we want to be sure it is ready to go fully when we go live. At this point MSSQL is NOT up, but we are working toward that goal as soon as possible.

We have the DBs restored and had them running but taking this moment to do just a little more maintenance as hsphere is not yet running on the server and we may need to reboot one last time.

MSSQL4 is UP and RUNNING.
All databases are working, I see no offline, suspect or otherwise in Enterprise Manager.

All data is as it was the moment before MSSQL4 services went offline, we did not have to restore from the off server backups.
We took the old Hard Disk, copied the data to the new RAID array, and used it exactly as it was for the SQL Data.

It is now running MS Windows 2003 R2 instead of MS Windows 2000. We had images and COULD have restored to a previous backup (at 2am for c:\windows backup), but MSSQL4 has had some minor outages recently, and we decided since Microsoft has pulled support for Windows 2000 we would upgrade to 2003 while we had to do an OS Reinstall.

We have never had such an outage on MSSQL services before, but feel this was a very successful upgrade and recovery.

Back