MSSQL6 power or motherboard issue - Restored to new server

Stephen

US Operations
Staff member
Ping just went down on MSSQL6, and I was here doing other work already. I smell something burning from it, likely power supply. I've disconnected power and checking it now.

ouch. This is motherboard! I can see two spots where it has burned up, quite literally black streaks flame scorch. I am very glad I was here when this happened! I don't think I've ever seen such on a motherboard itself, and never before on power protected circuits like the datacenter environment. I've only seen a video card GPU( fan went out and it burned itself up) and modem (got hit by lightning) do this prior.

We're probably looking at several hours here, and maybe a move from hardware to virtualized will even be the fastest route, as we're out of this exact model motherboard(due to past fails and no longer in stock). I'm looking to see if any other similar we can swap out.

We're moving to a Virtualized server here, with upcoming license changes for reporting this makes the most sense anyway as small standalone servers are being discouraged now by high license costs. We're copying all the info into virtual format now and it is showing that will finish somewhere around midnight as of now, that's just an estimate. If all goes well it should be up within 15-20 minutes after that time.

We apologize for this outage of the SQL Services, this is uncommon and not what we strive to provide.

When calculating the time I made a mistake in not counting the time is took to copy from the server where the physical to virtual creation was happening, to the final hosting node for the server. Its still around 1 hour 45 minutes remaining on copy to the node now.

Having to make a new windows install and move the SQL data, not what I'd hoped and planned, but in action doing this now.

SQL setup takes it's sweeeeeet time. once we get the setup and service packs done, we'll be able to move files in place and start it up and bring databases up.

We're almost there, we've got data back in place but working out a couple errors on accessing the DBs then we'll open it up to be used.

Back