My Wish List (features)

Inka

Perch
Regardless some stability problems that I won't mention here, I admit that the list of features in JodoHost's Windows plans is impressive. However, there is room for improvement.

Here is my wish list:

1. Install Crystal Reports Runtime for .NET

Crystal Reports is the default reporting engine that comes with VS.NET. Since a lot of people is using the MS environment to develop their ASP.NET sites, there are big chances that many of them use Crystal Reports and want to upload some reports to their site (I know some of them that wanted to hire a hosting account from me)

2. Provide InnoDB support for MySQL

InnoDB brings very interesting features to MySQL like transactions and referential integrity. I think this is very useful and I am using this format for several sites I am hosting at another location

3. Reduce the cost of Megabyte per month

At US$0.1 / mb Jodo is offering the most expensive disk space I have ever used. Obviously I am not going to mention the name of the competitors, but they offer up to 100 Mb per month at US$1.00. I think that the price should be reduced maybe at US$0.02 / Mb . It's the same with the monthly transfer that is really expensive. I suggest US$0.95 / GB per month

4. Windows FTP sub accounts using the control panel

I know, it's not JodoHost's fault, but H-SPHERE's. Next version will include this feature

Well, do not take this like a criticism, just some suggestions

Thanks

Hi

1) Crystal Reports: As you mentioned, this comes with VS.NET. We obviously do not have a copy of VS.NET and would not like to license it for each of our servers (I doubt any hosting company does this). If Microsoft had a distribution of crystal reports for service providers or for production servers, we'd definately install it

2) Can you point me to more information on InnoDB, I'd pass this on to our unix administrator. I'd however recommend PostgreSQL because it includes these features

3) don't forget that our packages allow overselling and is based on summary disk usage. We will however consider this

4) FTP sub accounts will be available very soon.

Inka said:
Here is my wish list:

1. Install Crystal Reports Runtime for .NET

2. Provide InnoDB support for MySQL

3. Reduce the cost of Megabyte per month

4. Windows FTP sub accounts using the control panel

I would like to add :
5. Ability to create/delete protected folder autometically

That would have been great if we could do that.

Yash any chance of that happening?

Thanks.

Danial

Danial,

Yes, in 2.4 (and some beta currently) there is a .htaccess like DLL for windows, it works OK, but there are some problems with stability of the server after installing it at this time. It will do what you want, when it is more stable it will be installed.

Stephen said:
Danial,

Yes, in 2.4 (and some beta currently) there is a .htaccess like DLL for windows, it works OK, but there are some problems with stability of the server after installing it at this time. It will do what you want, when it is more stable it will be installed.

Thanks for that Stephen :)

Looking forward to it.

Danial

A response to the request for Crystal Reports could be MS SQL Server Reporting services. I can't remember exactly what version of MS SQL Server Jodo is currently running but depending on what MS SQL server licences they have and whatnot Reporting services may already be inlcuded at no extra charge. Anyway, just something to consider. I've found it to be a somewhat superior product to Crystal Reports in some ways myself. It's still in its baby stages, so there should be many improvements to come in the next release.

For shared-plans...

What about IIS R/W permissions as a File Manager? I'm used to this in other ISP's, w/o sending a ticket and waiting for hours.
It would be great to be able to set a dir as an IIS application too,

EminenceAdam said:
A response to the request for Crystal Reports could be MS SQL Server Reporting services. I can't remember exactly what version of MS SQL Server Jodo is currently running but depending on what MS SQL server licences they have and what not Reporting services may already be inlcuded at no extra charge. Anyway, just something to consider. I've found it to be a somewhat superior product to Crystal Reports in some ways myself. It's still in its baby stages, so there should be many improvements to come in the next release.

Could somebody from JodoHost please confirm if SQL Server Reporting Services is installed?

Stephen said:
It is not installed.

Hi Stepthen,

I thant case, can you please install that? According to Microsoft you don't need to pay an extra penny, the license of SQL Server :

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting/howtobuy/faq.asp

Allows you to use it

Also, Yash said this:

Yash said:
1) Crystal Reports: As you mentioned, this comes with VS.NET. We obviously do not have a copy of VS.NET and would not like to license it for each of our servers (I doubt any hosting company does this). If Microsoft had a distribution of crystal reports for service providers or for production servers, we'd definately install it

I do not know if Microsoft has such a license for Crystal Reports, but since you are willing to install one if such a license existed, I think that you will not have any problem installing Reporting Services given that it does not have an extra cost

Thanks!

Hello,

I have tested Reporting services, and am in fact on my personal server that has it insalled now, it is very resource intensive. It is not something we can install in a shared SQL server.

Stephen,
I know i've asked about Reporting Services before, but is there any way this could be done?

Could you just have one SQL server that does nothing but reporting services. The reason i ask, is that i am beginning to see alot of other hosts offer this feature and i really would like to offer it to my customers.

Just a note, i really appreciate you taking the time to answer these questions. I'm glad you guys/gals are there.

Richard M.

I am trying to work on something there with that. But at this time it is not offered.

As I said in my original post a lot of developers use Visual Studio to create ASP.NET solutions. Many of them use SQL Server 2000. VS.NET has Crystal Reports and SQL Server provides Reporting Services, so that developers will eventually use one of them to do reporting tasks.

I think you should find an alternative, but in way or the other provide Reporting capabilities to your service.

Thanks

We are very greatful for the suggestions, if we can find a way to do it that is not too resource intensive, or present a security risk we will look into the services further.

Back