Mysql question. I am lost

jag5311

Perch
I am quite confused as to the purpose of a *.sql file. Right now I am incorporating Dreamweaver MX + Mysql + Coldfusion. Typically, on my local machine, i have it setup so that the user is ROOT and the server is localhost. I am able to connect via mysql- front just fine and I currently have it setup via ODBC 3.51 driver. All my data is not in an SQL file. That will be done once I export it. If I plan on using Jodohost with mysql, will i have to upload an SQL file to work with, or do I just change on my machine the server path to match Jodo's, so then I work on it from my home computer? This is the stuff I am a little slow on.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Bryan

A .SQL file typically contains SQL code in text format. It contains SQL commands that the server can execute... like a .BAT (batch) file for DOS.
-Dave

jag5311 said:
I am quite confused as to the purpose of a *.sql file. Right now I am incorporating Dreamweaver MX + Mysql + Coldfusion. Typically, on my local machine, i have it setup so that the user is ROOT and the server is localhost. I am able to connect via mysql- front just fine and I currently have it setup via ODBC 3.51 driver. All my data is not in an SQL file. That will be done once I export it. If I plan on using Jodohost with mysql, will i have to upload an SQL file to work with, or do I just change on my machine the server path to match Jodo's, so then I work on it from my home computer? This is the stuff I am a little slow on.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Bryan

so if I plan on using mysql as my database option for my site, is a copy of the *.sql file what needs to be uploaded?

or do I simply connect to jodohost's mysql server via mysql on my machine and handle it there?

I'm not sure what you mean...? Let's say you script the creation of a table. It may take one Create Table command, two index creation commands, and a bunch of inserts and permission commands. All these commands can be written one after each other in a text file. You then tell SQL server to run the contents of that file. Text files like this typically have a .SQL extension. There's no more magic than that. It's not where the actual data is stored on the server.
-Dave

jag5311 said:
so if I plan on using mysql as my database option for my site, is a copy of the *.sql file what needs to be uploaded?

or do I simply connect to jodohost's mysql server via mysql on my machine and handle it there?

The web front end for your database will have the option of creating databases, tables, etc. You can either upload the .SQL file there, it'll get executed and create the tables, dbs, etc for you, or simply copy the contents of the .SQL file into the little textarea box there, and run the command.

Have you opened up the .SQL file in notepad yet? If you haven't, take a look at it.

Back