mySQL Timeout Change?

kbim

Guppy
Heya,

I had been working on projects internal to other companies for a while, so I hadn't been playing with my reseller account much lately. Now that I'm back to it, I've noticed that my mySQL connection is timing out within a few minutes. I use SQLyog to do my DB work and it didn't used to time out so much. I had a previous host who timed out connections with regularity, so my first thought was this. I am behind a different network now, but it's a straight router and the rest of my connections aren't dying, so I'm dubious as to whether it's on my end.

Did you guys change the network timeout for external mySQL connections? If so, can you bump them up to something longer than the 3-4 minutes? If not, can you tell me so I can ivnestigate why this is happening? I do some of my development on XAMPP, but once the dev DB is up I like to work on it live and not have to move scripts around constantly.

Thanks!

It is 5 minutes at the moment and cant be increased any more.
Please see if you get some keep-alive kind of option in SQLyog.
I think there are many tools which can auto-connect in case of a disconnection.

tanmaya said:
It is 5 minutes at the moment and cant be increased any more.
Please see if you get some keep-alive kind of option in SQLyog.
I think there are many tools which can auto-connect in case of a disconnection.
I'll look into it, but it does seem quite unnecessarily short. It can easily take longer than 5 minutes to write a complicated JOIN statement for instance.

I am forced to ask if the connection is set to a 5 minute timeout and you encourage the use of keep-alive tools to get around this, what is the point of setting it to a 5 minute timeout? Why can't it simply be increased to something reflecting realistic user interaction with the db? It can't be a performance concern because activity keeps the connection alive and it can't be a security concern because you've just instructed me to look for keep-alive tools to keep the connection open.

kbim,

It can't be increased because this would mean anytime someone doesnt close their connect in php, it would keep an active connection people developing statements is a very distinct minority, and use of a keepalive is what will keep you connected.

That being said, it is never recommended to develop on our production servers, you can install a local mysql(note caps/NO CAPS issues if using windows MySQL), develop the statements then import the SQL after it is tested.

Back